No announcement yet.

The 2011 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't understand a thing he was saying .
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      Kirk Douglas looked and sounded disabled. The Academy should think twice before letting stroke victims up there.
      What? He was the second best guy up there. The best was Bob Hope, and he's dead.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Jane Russell, star of '40s and '50s films, dies (AP)
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Another one we missed. Not picked.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            What? He was the second best guy up there. The best was Bob Hope, and he's dead.
            At first I though it was a bad idea but once you realized that his mind was still there, he was pretty hilarious. I have to give him credit.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The fact that the verbal struggles of a stroke victim pass for entertainment is a sad commentary on the whole show.

Oh, and RIP, Jane Russell.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I wasn't laughing at the struggle. I managed to hear what he said, and it was funny.

We can go back to locking him up now so he won't offend anyone else.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Oh, he had amusement value. Clearly, his mind is still there, and he has a puckish side.

My criticism is of the Academy...although I suppose you could say pandering is their job.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• You seem to think stroke survivors should be locked away somewhere so the rest of us won't be offended by their presence. I'm really at a loss to understand your concern.

Comment

• I don't think that at all. But people who can barely speak do not, in my world, belong on stage in a speaking role.

Comment

• Only the beautiful people belong on TV?

Comment

• No, assuredly not. But the role of award presenter should be reserved for people who can actually speak clearly. It's a producer's decision, and I disagree with the choice they made. Like hiring a stutterer to host a radio show, it's just not a smart choice.

Why are you trying so hard to twist my opinion into something it's not?

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

Why are you trying so hard to twist my opinion into something it's not?
                            I am honestly trying to understand your concern. I really don't get it.

Consistency test for you -

Should Stephen Hawking refrain from public speaking?

Comment

• Dude, it's a production decision. The show is famed for running long. I would not have gone that way.
                              It has nothing to do with any particular medical condition. It has much more to do with the Academy deciding that they should value the pandering to fans of this has-been star over the comfort of many viewers. And yes, watching the struggles of the medically infirm is distinctly uncomfortable for many people.

I would not invite Hawking to be an Oscars presenter. Nor a stutterer. Nor someone with an accent that is difficult to understand. The show is already interminable without it.

The secondary issue - the one you seem focused on - is whether it "worked." For some, it did. For me, who lost a close friend after his second stroke at a young age (in his 40s), not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                                Should Stephen Hawking refrain from public speaking?
                                AFAIK everything he 'says' is preprocessed. In that sense he's not capable of public speaking.
                                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X