X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    What the hell is a poshos?
    Me, obviously.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Posh? Like the Spice Girl?
      Yes... you can't be that thick...
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          Unless they're a parent facing the bills for buying the damned stuff.

School uniforms are an appalling rip-off. When I was a kid they were the preserve of schools for poshos, or schools aspiring to be schools for poshos. Never saw the point of them, personally speaking.
          You're just pissy because if school uniforms are the standard, you can't wear your preppy clothes. Alpha Protocol is likely related to you.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
            Having worked in the education sector for some years I can say that your personal perception of how things were some decades ago is utterly irrelevant to how the issue of uniforms are widely seen today.

Unless your kids are perfectly happy to wear their uniforms outside of school, accept that the end result is buying more clothes. Making the rip-off accusations every bit as relevant now as they were in the 70s.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well, I generally wore my uniform throughout the week, since I wasn't going to change at 5:30 PM when I got back home, so it did mean buying less clothes. Buying the uniform at the school store was relatively expensive, but you could just buy similar clothes for much less, sans the school logo of course, and those would do as well.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Unless your kids are perfectly happy to wear their uniforms outside of school, accept that the end result is buying more clothes. Making the rip-off accusations every bit as relevant now as they were in the 70s.
                This doesn't take into account the fashion and label pressures which can easily lead to more expense. Not everywhere, perhaps, but the Head has to make a decision. I understand your point, which is much better than the other one about social class, but I don't think it is straight-forward. Anyway, if you're only wearing a set of clothes for half the time, they only get half as worn-out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  This doesn't take into account the fashion and label pressures which can easily lead to more expense.

At which point the parents decide their budgets. Not the teachers. Why assume parents need protection from their kids?

I understand your point, which is much better than the other one about social class, but I don't think it is straight-forward. Anyway, if you're only wearing a set of clothes for half the time, they only get half as worn-out.

That's only true if you remain the same size and shape. Kids usually don't. It's really rare for my pair to get clothes worn-out.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                    Well, I generally wore my uniform throughout the week, since I wasn't going to change at 5:30 PM when I got back home, so it did mean buying less clothes.

And how many girlfriends did you have?

Comment

Uniforms discourage teen sexuality? Hmm, I might have to support them after all.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Why would kids need uniforms? As long as they march in line and obey there's no need to be a nazi about this
                        Last edited by BeBMan; December 29, 2010, 13:41.
                        Blah

Comment

I keep saying that when uniforms are instituted here in the US (like in the Philly public school district) there's considerable leeway in what clothes are considered in 'uniform'. It's more of a dress code then a uniform.

To repeat, for example, just picking a random school, one requires "Navy, Black, Khaki, Gray pants, White, Burgundy, Black shirt". How does that put additional hardship on a family? How does that require more clothes to be worn outside of school? Most kids would casually wear their school uniform Khakis anyway, as every teen in public school I have know does or did.

And when you consider that districts like Philly's do supply vouchers for families of students that have demonstrated financial need, the whole argument that uniforms are too expensive is a moot point. Then, the issue would be is that appropriate use of limited school district funds, but not an issue of hardship to families.

Bugs?
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

And how many girlfriends did you have?

We generally went out during weekends. If hanging out after school during the week, we'd both be in uniforms anyways.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                            X