Should school uniforms be banned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should school uniforms be banned?

There has been much debate on whether or not school uniforms should be permanently banned from all public schools. In other words, school uniforms will never exist in public schools in America. This would prevent it from happening in the future, which is a good thing. I believe they should be made illegal, because there is no reason to have them and it's been proven that students perform better without them. What are your thoughts on school uniforms being outlawed?
    yes, they should be banned
    25.00%
    no, but they should continue to be frowned upon
    25.00%
    other
    50.00%

What happens to kids who are wearing school uniforms... do they have their clothing taken away?

Comment

How could you ban school uniforms? It's clearly a case of state/municipal law.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Well, the uniforms probably involve interstate commerce.

Comment

i think alpha protocol must really dislke his school uniform.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Protocol View Post
            There has been much debate on whether or not school uniforms should be permanently banned from all public schools.
            No there hasn't. Not for anyone aged over 16 anyway...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Naked children
              School uniforms
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                No there hasn't. Not for anyone aged over 16 anyway...

Unless they're a parent facing the bills for buying the damned stuff.

School uniforms are an appalling rip-off. When I was a kid they were the preserve of schools for poshos, or schools aspiring to be schools for poshos. Never saw the point of them, personally speaking.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

That's why districts like Philly's offer vouchers for families of children with demonstrated financial need.

But also, why not a policy like what most Philly schools have? Check it:

As you can see, most schools don't have a set specific uniform but guidelines on dress. It doesn't affect the 'name-brands making the haves/haves not more apparent' argument in favor of uniforms, but a lot of schools in Philly have policies like these:

For Lincoln High School:
                  Black pants or skirts, Gold or Yellow-Gold Polo Shirt with a collar. No jeans are allowed, but students may wear t-shirts with the School Logo or their Academy t-shirts.
                  Parkway High:
                  Parkway - Center City
                  Navy, Black, Khaki, Gray pants, White, Burgundy, Black shirt
                  Some like Olney High have school shirts purchasable at the school (and interesting difference for freshmen)
                  Black pants, Red polo shirt (9th grade)
                  Black pants, white or black polo shirt w/logo to be purchased at school
                  (grades 10, 11, & 12)
                  Lots of schools have different things.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    Unless they're a parent facing the bills for buying the damned stuff.

School uniforms are an appalling rip-off. When I was a kid they were the preserve of schools for poshos, or schools aspiring to be schools for poshos. Never saw the point of them, personally speaking.
                    Having worked in the education sector for some years I can say that your personal perception of how things were some decades ago is utterly irrelevant to how the issue of uniforms are widely seen today.

Comment

What the hell is a poshos?
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

... posh people?
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                          ... posh people?
                          Posh? Like the Spice Girl?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            What the hell is a poshos?

Comment

This is posho/poshos:

It is the white thing which is cornmeal cooked with water to a dough-like consistency. It is the most common staple starch of much of Eastern and Southern Africa.

Learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X