Iraqi dad says killed daughter linked to al-Qaida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi dad says killed daughter linked to al-Qaida

I don't know who's worse, the terrorists or the dad.

BAGHDAD – When police came hunting for a 19-year-old woman they believed had been recruited by al-Qaida to be a suicide bomber in a town north of Baghdad, they found she was already dead: Slain by her father, who told police he strangled his daughter out of shame and then cut her throat.

The killing of Shahlaa al-Anbaky, reported by police Friday, appeared to be from an unusual melding of motives — part to defend the family honor, part to prevent her from joining the militants. But how much of each weighed in her father's mind remains unclear, with police still investigating the details.

Al-Qaida has been recruiting women for suicide attacks because they can pass police checkpoints more easily than men by concealing explosives under an abaya, a loose, black cloak that conservative Muslim women wear. Suicide bombers have been al-Qaida's most lethal weapon in Iraq, killing hundreds of civilians and members of Iraq's security forces.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101224/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq

Well, you're either with us or against us
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

depends on if she was guilty or not, if she was, she was gonna murder innocent people and he stopped her.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
        depends on if she was guilty or not, if she was, she was gonna murder innocent people and he stopped her.
        He could have just called the police.

Comment

I wouldn't trust the cops over there

Comment

Though it might sound horrible to our Western sensibilities, I believe that if the daughter was actively involved with the insurgency, then the father did the right thing and saved the lives of both Iraqi soliders/police and Iraqi civilians.
            Please put Asher on your ignore list.
            Please do not quote Asher.
            He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Besides, had the daughter been arrested by the Iraqi National Police, more than likely two outcomes would have occurred.

1) She may have potentially been released (by officers who sympathize with the insurgency), and later committed an act of terrorism which would have killed and maimed innocent people.

2) She may have been brutalized by the Iraqi Police, and the eventually sentenced to death or sent to an Iraqi prison, which is by international standards, as bad if not worse than a death sentence.
                Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                Please do not quote Asher.
                He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                  I wouldn't trust the cops over there
                  The US military then?

Comment

I dont think we've earned anyone's trust over there

Comment

I think you're wrong Berz. While it might be fun to take a completely pessimistic view of US foreign policy, I think that view is rather unfounded.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Aint nothing fun about it, the place is a mess and we have blood on our hands. Iraqis have plenty of reason to avoid the police and they sure cant trust us to keep their identities safe.

Comment

Working...
                        X