Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Jefferson High School and its failure according to Jay Matthews

Source of this incredible revelation

The admissions statistics for the Jefferson class of 2014, this year's ninth-graders, show there were 3,119 applicants, of which 480, or 15.4 percent, were admitted. This included 272 boys (16.4 percent of those that applied) and 208 girls (14.2 percent of applicants.)

Looking at applicants of different ethnicities, the crux of Meikle's question, 184 African Americans applied and four (2.3 percent of those applying) were admitted. With Hispanics, the figures were 225 applied and 13 (5.8 percent) admitted. In the multiracial category, 190 applied and 21 (11 percent) were admitted.

The number of whites (1,277) and Asians (1,243) who applied was close, but their admission rates were not. Of whites, 166 (13 percent) were admitted and 276 Asians (22.2 percent) were admitted.

Jefferson officials say the first cut of applicants is based on grades and test scores. In the second round, personal characteristics are considered. Students strongly interested in math and science have an advantage, officials say, which may explain why Asian Americans -- whose families are more likely to revere science and scholarship -- are the largest ethnic group in the school.

For the class of 2010, Jefferson had an average SAT score of 2233, the highest in the country by far. What do you think of this degree of selectivity, and the differences in admission rates for different ethnicities?
    The meat:
    184 African Americans applied four where admitted (2.3%)
    225 Hispanics applied 13 where admitted (5.8%)
    1227 Whites applied 166 where admitted (13%)
    1243 Asians applied 276 where admitted (22.2%)

It has been exactly a month since Jeanie Meikle, a frequent reader of this blog, asked me this good question:

"In all the articles I have read about TJ [the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, the most selective secondary school in the country] and its failures of inclusiveness, I have never seen the statistics as to how many (and %) of applicants were African American or Hispanic or what the acceptance rate of those applicants was. … So do you by any chance know what the numbers are?"

Yes why does TJ fail at inclusiveness as the disingenuous nice White lady put it. I did a quick google on this and after reading his comment decided that I can't really put it better than Steve Sailer:

So, Asians first, whites second, Hispanics third, blacks fourth. What an astonishing result! Who has ever seen that rank ordering before in any competition involving test scores and grades? It's an anomaly!

Of course, no attempt is made to compare this to similar situations, where similar results are achieved. We're only supposed to to talk about Thomas Jefferson HS. What is it about TJHS that leads to such remarkable results? We're simply not supposed to notice any similst pattern elsewhere, and thus preserve our intellectual virginity for thinking about the Virginia school. People who have actually learned things from general patterns are considered unwanted gatecrashers.
    I wouldn't bother with posting something so mundane if it wasn't for HC going to that school and Albie declaring the school lacking diversity. Well eventually he may be right since Asians will certainly represent more than just 60% of those making it to the school in future years.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; December 23, 2010, 10:22.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Only 14.2% of applicants are Black or Hispanic. That is low as ****. That part of Virginia really is cracker-ville.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Hera, before you pull more **** out of Steve Sailer's racist ass, how is it that some other schools are at the top-tier but with high Black enrollment? My high school was the 45th ranked school by US News & World Report and according to the same source, it had Black enrollment of 30.8%.

Some other top schools, including #5 School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center in Dallas has 23% Black enrollment and 28.2% Hispanic; #30 MLK Academic in Nashville has 32% Black enrollment; #8 School of Science and Engineering also in Dallas has 19.2% Black and 52.9% Hispanic.

These schools are in the top 0.1% of high schools in the country and are effectively the same as HC's school yet have minority enrollment higher than the US average.

Check the School of Science and Engineering in Dallas' breakdown:

Minority Enrollment (% of total) 72.4%
      Black Enrollment (% of total) 19.2%
      Hispanic Enrollment (% of total) 52.9%
      American Indian Enrollment (% of total) 0.3%
      Asian Enrollment (% of total) 5.6%
      White Enrollment (% of total) 22.0%
      Economically Disadvantaged Student Enrollment (% of total) 48.3%

I don't know how their application process works or what the demographics are for those who apply but 22% White, 5.6% Asian at a school with an apparent emphasis on science and engineering! I guess the brown people must be superior to the Asians then
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Well, I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the demographics where those schools are located, AS.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Oh yay! Hera vs. Alby again!
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            Well, I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the demographics where those schools are located, AS.
            Which is the same thing presumably with Fairfax County VA, right?

So the racist point of Asian superiority elucidated by Sailer has no water.

Comment

Plus this reader comment, assuming its veracity, is illuminating:

Jay - Saying that the second round of cuts is based on "personal characteristics" (your words, but I assume a faithful translation of theirs) is a misnomer. What the second round actually consists of is the way for privilege to exert its (self-defined) rightful place.

How are these personal characteristics determined? Are the applicants asked? Of course not. Instead, what are actually considered are written recommendations. And, as you know so well and as you have instructed your readers over the years, the best recommendations have far more to do with the author than the person being recommended. This is why parents place their students at specific schools - they know that the recommendations from that school sway the jury.

Those without such privilege - without the ability to live where they choose to because they can't afford it - have to take whatever they can get. And what they don't get is into TJ.

The FCPS should do away with any and every subjective evaluating criteria for admission to TJ. Even better, it should either do away with TJ or, better yet, create a "TJ" at every FCPS high school. It can be done. But they won't, because that would water down the "accomplishments" of TJ's students and take away the competitive advantage their parents bought for them.
              And "bought" is the only way to term what they do.
              Maybe HC or Kuci can confirm this or not?

If recommendations are so critical then that would go a long way to explain things, as well as the pitifully low economically disadvantaged student rate at that school even assuming that the pool isn't from a privileged white area, as it most definitely is.

According to the US census bureau the county TJ is in has median household income of over $100K.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Which is the same thing presumably with Fairfax County VA, right?

So the racist point of Asian superiority elucidated by Sailer has no water.
                I'm sorry Alby but looking at the local demographic one needs to do some hoops to get the result you expect. Getting the result I expect is very easy as a commenter demonstrates.

Assuming the following average IQs:

Whites: 100.6
                Asians: 106
                Hispanics: 94
                Blacks: 85

and assuming IQ amongst each group is normally distributed with a standard deviation of 15, we may ask: If the students were picked by ranking their IQs and admitting the N highest scoring, how many of each race would be admitted?

Answer:

For N=459 (actual total number of admitted single-race students )

Model Prediction:

Asians: 276.5
                Whites: 166.7
                Hispanics: 13.3
                Blacks: 2.8

Actual numbers:

Asians: 276
                Whites: 166
                Hispanics: 13
                Blacks: 4

It is clear that the model agrees well with the empirical data.

Disclaimer: The author is not suggesting that readers draw any specific conclusions from these results. The inputs for the model were chosen to be consistent with well-known, published results of average IQs is the US. The author chooses not to interpret the meaning of IQ or to what degree it is culturally or genetically influenced.

My only disagreement with the estimates he took is that the White IQ of TJ aplicants is probably slightly higher since about half of them are Jews (a prediction I previously made and HC confirmed).
                Last edited by Heraclitus; December 24, 2010, 15:19.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

A commenter on the Washington Post's website

"This is starting to get ridiculous.

The second round, as you say, considers "personal characteristics." Students who demonstrate a strong interest in science and technology have a strong advantage because it is only those students who will be truly happy in the TJ environment. TJ admissions can evaluate students based on other factors (such as morality, which already is taken into account with the 2nd essay on the TJ admissions test), but really, as a current TJ student myself, I can honestly say that focusing on an interest in science and technology is especially important when evaluating potential students...

Frankly, minority or not, people who do not demonstrate a very strong interest in science and technology will, simply, not enjoy the TJ experience. I have many friends interested in going into the liberal arts in college, but was unable to pursue their liberal arts interests at TJ because of the lack of space to take liberal arts courses. Thus, their time at TJ was absolutely miserable. I have a friend very into neuroscience, and she considers TJ her second home.

TJ does not do affirmative action; it is completely merit-based. People who not only have strong test scores and high grades, but also have a strong interest in science and technology get in. TJ is a SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY school. It is only right that they base their admissions on such qualities. If you are looking for a school that focuses on other subjects/traits, go look somewhere else. If your kid is not interested in the sciences, regardless of whether they be a minority or not, they will not enjoy TJ. If they do not get in, consider it a blessing--TJ would've probably been a horrible experience for them.

Affirmative action, in and of itself is discrimination. This is especially evident in the midst of the college application process. I know of various people who have gotten into excellent, top-tier schools. Instead of congratulating them on their merits, however, students generally say, "Oh, he got in because he's Native American/Hispanic/African American." At TJ, that is not the case. Everyone gets in because they deserved it. Not because of their race.

In the end, TJ's system is for the best. Even the minorities at TJ are strongly against your articles, Jay Matthew. Once the minorities start criticizing articles that supposedly support them, you better think twice about writing about the same topic in the future."

Comment

Jay - Saying that the second round of cuts is based on "personal characteristics" (your words, but I assume a faithful translation of theirs) is a misnomer. What the second round actually consists of is the way for privilege to exert its (self-defined) rightful place.

How are these personal characteristics determined? Are the applicants asked? Of course not. Instead, what are actually considered are written recommendations. And, as you know so well and as you have instructed your readers over the years, the best recommendations have far more to do with the author than the person being recommended. This is why parents place their students at specific schools - they know that the recommendations from that school sway the jury.

This is a gross mischaracterization. NoVA has a separate "gifted track" for students that starts back in elementary school. By middle school, students in the track are segregated out and actually concentrated in specific middle schools (which typically also have students not on the gifted track, but those students are in different classes with different teachers - they just share a building). Parents try to get their kids into this program because the program is good and obviously it improves your odds of getting into TJ.

Comment

Working...
                    X