New archaic hominin admixture in modern humans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New archaic hominin admixture in modern humans

Using DNA extracted from a finger bone found in Denisova Cave in southern Siberia, we have sequenced the genome of an archaic hominin to about 1.9-fold coverage. This individual is from a group that shares a common origin with Neanderthals. This population was not involved in the putative gene flow from Neanderthals into Eurasians; however, the data suggest that it contributed 4–6% of its genetic material to the genomes of present-day Melanesians. We designate this hominin population ‘Denisovans’ and suggest that it may have been widespread in Asia during the Late Pleistocene epoch. A tooth found in Denisova Cave carries a mitochondrial genome highly similar to that of the finger bone. This tooth shares no derived morphological features with Neanderthals or modern humans, further indicating that Denisovans have an evolutionary history distinct from Neanderthals and modern humans.
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...=Google+Reader

If the Denisovans did indeed have a range spreading from Siberia to South Asia, they must have been a remarkably successful kind of human. And yet, despite having the entire genome of a Denisovan, Dr. Paabo cannot say much yet about what they were like. “By sequencing my complete genome, there’s very little you could predict about what I look like or how I behave,” he said.
    First got the news from Razib's blog.

Fascinating information, first the news of Neanderthal admixture (<4%) in Eurasians and possible unidentified archaic (<13%) admixture in Africans and now this.
    Its seems in a decade or so we will have a much clearer picture of human evolution in the last million years.

Greater insight into the evolution of mankind, the Chinese study on the genetics intelligence, the possibility STDs manipulate host sexual behaviour... Perhaps Gregory Cochran was right in his prediction that we are in for a veritable storm of findings that will illuminate the so far muddy cross-section of biology, anthropology and sociology in the next few years.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; December 22, 2010, 19:11.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

I read this as "new archaic ad hominem mixture in modern humans." That would have been far more interesting that Hera's drivel.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I've got more than 1487 reasons not to read this
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
      X