Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Ontario has an Islington as well?

Jesus wept.

(I have discovered this in the course of my lame attempts to write a search-by-geotagged location widget for Flickr)

It also has a Hull
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

...or is that in Quebec?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Quebec.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

lol

Even Ontario didn't want a Hull

Comment

Ontario got worse when the Huns got frisky. German place names were replaced with English.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Berlin may be dead, but Octoberfest lives on in Kitchener...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                Ontario got worse when the Huns got frisky. German place names were replaced with English.

The late Rosella Loos was a young girl when she posed for a photographer on a monument beside the lake in Kitchener's Victoria Park.

A postcard made to mark the occasion -- last week's mystery photo -- turned up recently as Elizabeth (Bette) Cronmiller of Waterloo sorted pictures in an old family photo album. Rosella was her aunt, born in 1900 in the town of Berlin, which in 1912 became the city of Berlin, then changed its name to Kitchener in 1916.

On the back of the undated postcard, someone had written: "Aunt Rose in front of statue of Kaiser Wilhelm thrown in lake at Victoria Pk. Kitchener during 1915 war."

Installed in 1897 as a "peace" memorial marking Germany's 1871 victory in the Franco-Prussian War, the granite monument was topped with a bust of the deceased German emperor Wilhelm I. On the sides were medallions depicting Wilhelm's foreign minister Otto Von Bismarck and his army chief of staff, Helmuth von Moltke.

To this day, the story of the bronze bust is one of the most intriguing tales in Kitchener's past. Prized by the German community, the bust was dumped in the lake by several young men in August 1914, just weeks into the First World War. England and Germany had become enemies that month, with Germany led by Wilhelm II, grandson of both Wilhelm I and the late Queen Victoria of England.

Pulled from the water, the bust was taken for safekeeping to the upstairs rooms of the Concordia Club, then at 107 King St. W., between today's Queen and Ontario streets. But in 1916, during the city's heated name-change debate, it was stolen when a pro-British mob laid waste to the club.

Soldiers in the mob took it to the Queen Street South barracks of the Canadian military's 118th Battalion -- and then it disappeared.

Soon after, the rest of the monument was dismantled. By then it had been defaced with graffiti and the side medallions had been removed by members of the 118th.

Decades later, the Bismark medallion turned up in the hands of a private collector in Toronto. The bust was said to have been melted down to make souvenir napkin rings, but there's little evidence to confirm this.
                Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                Please do not quote Asher.
                He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

I don't understand how anyone could sustain enough interest to actually research all that.

Comment

I don't understand how anyone could sustain enough interest to actually read all that.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I lost the will to live after the first few sentences. I am now posting from the afterlife.
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It's pretty easy with wikipedia.

Comment

No, Asher, at some point someone has to have actually compiled all of that information. Why?

Comment

What the **** else do Canadians have to do?

Comment

Go clubbing.

Spoiler:
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X