DiManno for Police Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiManno for Police Chief

I mock The Star and have a particular dislike for DiManno but...

This is just too damn funny.

Quick background - Toronto's Police Chief has been making news lately as fallout from last summer's G20 continues to roll on. One particularly troubling incident had TO cops assaulting a civilian without cause (Adam Nobody). The officers involved have yet to be disciplined as apparently the Chief has been unable to identify them.

Rosie to the rescue.

There are recognizable faces. There are identifiable names.

And that should make quick work of holding at least a few brutalizing police officers to account for their despicable conduct during the G20 Summit protests.

In the hands of so accomplished a career professional as Police Chief Bill Blair — former morality cop, former drug cop, former organized crime cop, former major criminal investigations cop and former head of detective operations — this evidence should cue up a slam-dunk piece of detecting.

Break the case wide open, as they say.

The Star has done much of the leg work for you, chief.

We are in possession of a videotape that shows cops whaling on Adam Nobody. We also have 13 still photographs of a separate incident, the tackling of National Post freelance photographer Colin O’Connor. One Toronto police officer, clearly identifiable, is a central character in both episodes.

Here is a Detecting for Dummies primer to help you get your man, chief:

CLUE 1: He has removed his name tag. That puts him among the 100-or-so cops who’ve already been reprimanded for doing so, which significantly culls the suspect list.

CLUE 2: He had to be on duty at Queen’s Park that June 26 afternoon and does not appear to be a member of the Public Order Unit.

CLUE 3: He is in the company of two other officers — a male and a female — whose names (stitched on their Kevlar vests) are quite visible in the still photographs. They are J. McIntyre and S. Ma. They likely know the identity of the cop who pummeled Nobody with his baton during a pile-on. Summon both to your office and demand disclosure.

You’re the boss. You can do that under the Police Act. Because what I’m wondering is if these officers constituted a rogue cadre who wrought havoc with peaceful demonstrators that day by abusing their powers.

Ma, the visual evidence indicates, was also at the bushwhacking of Nobody.

If that’s still not enough to go on, here are few further relevant details to pursue: The name of the officer that O’Connor allegedly obstructed — a charge subsequently withdrawn — is Juan Carlos Valencia. Perhaps he has valuable information to impart about colleagues who rumbled O’Connor.

And the officer who signed the court information sheet for O’Connor is Michael Axon, badge #90362, though he may have been only a functionary to the proceedings.

The Star is just a newspaper, however, heavily reliant on evidence that has been brought to us by members of the public, by freelance photographer Vincenzo D’Alto (he shot the aforementioned stills), and observations of staffers who covered the protests.

But you, chief, are, well, the chief. You have easy access to all that CCTV footage from dozens of fixed surveillance cameras around the Legislature grounds — material that was provided to the Special Investigations Unit.

It does not appear, though, that you also shared whatever video was shot and digital photographs freeze-framed by cops present at Queen’s Park. Undoubtedly, some of your people were there in that capacity. It’s a routine assignment at public gatherings where the likelihood of trouble erupting exists.

You can do this all quickly and directly, Chief Blair, thereby resurrecting much of the personal integrity that’s been compromised by command policing decisions you made last June and regrettable statements — about the SIU’s investigative competence, about the apparently assaulted civilian victims — you made last week.

Forget the seven (at minimum) official probes into events that occurred during that combustible June weekend — deflective post-mortems that may take months to conclude, thus all the better for deferring and blurring culpability while we all take our eye off the ball.

Surely this would be small potatoes for you, chief, because you were a vastly experienced cop before you became a bureaucrat. Most of us who live in this city trust you still.

But you really should explain, chief, why the refusal to cooperate with Ontario Ombudsman André Marin, who issued his own report Tuesday into the “dubious legality’’ of an obscure law — Regulation 233/10, under the 71-year-old Public Works Act — better known as the five-metre rule, wrongly applied by police before and during the G20 Summit.

“We had zero cooperation, which was rather astounding,’’ Marin said during his news conference. “I could have subpoenaed Chief Blair. Fortunately, it was not necessary to go down this route because we had full cooperation by the (Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services), which was able to provide us with communication, letters, they had with Chief Blair.’’

Marin — who does not have the authority to investigate police and in this case was focused on reviewing the ministry’s actions — also asked to interview officers identifiable from videos and photos, to quiz them about their understanding of the controversial legislation. “The chief refused us access to those officers.’’

That five-metre zone was wielded as a five-kilometre zone, as Marin noted, to demand that civilians — a woman leaving the Queens Quay Loblaws, protesters gathered at Allan Gardens — identify themselves and submit to searches far distant from the secured perimeter zone.

“Using the authority of the Public Works Act to force someone to identify themselves and allow themselves to be searched — that is illegal behaviour,’’ said Marin, emphatically. “You can’t do that. There’s no legal basis to do that, unless they’re relying on the Public Works Protection Act, which is war-time legislation.’’

And the public was never even told about the act before hundreds, if not thousands — all those who weren’t charged — got caught in the net, merely for asserting their constitutional rights.

Marin: “There was a premeditated, conscious, flagged decision not to announce the existence of the regulation or the reviving of this war-time act, this relic. The government poked a hibernating bear and they didn’t want the public to know.’’

It was the Toronto police service that had been the driving force behind utilizing Regulation 233/10, Marin stated; not the ministry, not the Integrated Security Unit Steering Committee. And it was the chief, said Marin, who successfully petitioned the government to extend the rule to public spaces never included in the legislation.

“On that particular weekend, there was a cascade effect of state mischief that resulted in hundreds of detentions, a thousand-plus arrested and locked in designated prisons,” Marin told reporters. “What about all the others detained on the spot? Police do not have the right to detain people arbitrarily and force them under threat of law to identify themselves and be searched on the spot.’’

Sadly, Marin concluded: “The days up to and including the weekend of the G20 will live in infamy as a time period where martial law set in the city of Toronto, leading to the most massive compromise of civil liberties in Canadian history. And we can never let that happen again.’’

That was an abuse of power and you, chief — not a bunch of anonymous cops with badge numbers removed — orchestrated it.

Those days of infamy can’t be undone. But some of it you can put right still, Chief Blair.

Be the good cop, sir.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Are you sure she wrote that?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Can you believe it?

Looks like Blair will be the first non-civilian G20 casualty.

Let's just hope he isn't used as a scapegoat for the higher-ups yet to come.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Update:

And then there was . . . well, just the one.

Out of all the police officers behaving badly during the G20 protests — swinging batons recklessly, kicking, punching — a single cop was charged on Tuesday by the Special Investigations Unit.

Const. Babak Andalib-Goortani — you da man.

Assault with a weapon is the charge.

Perhaps somewhat unfairly, Andalib-Goortani is the only law enforcement member to wear the scandal of overzealous and allegedly criminal protester-pounding from that chaotic week last June.

He made the mistake of lifting his face-shield, which rather defeated the purpose of removing his epaulet badge number. In videotape obtained by the Star, Andalib-Goortani is clearly recognizable — Mr. Policeman with a Goatee. It was this footage, which the Star publicized nearly two weeks ago, that helped SIU investigators put a name to a face.

You’re welcome.

Remember boys and girls - the policeman IS NOT your friend.

Comment

The G20 Protestors got what they deserved, plain and simple!
          Please put Asher on your ignore list.
          Please do not quote Asher.
          He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Who cares about Toronto?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
              God I wish you were a real person so a debate would have some meaning.

Comment

Every time I hear about police brutality it makes me think, "What if a rich white American was having his rights violated like this?" If rich white Americans were having their rights violated, I would be deeply disturbed. Sometimes it helps to try to put things in perspective. Therefore I have to give the Canadian police a big

Go back to citing litterbugs and jaywalkers.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  God I wish you were a real person so a debate would have some meaning.
                  Why are you convinced that I’m either someone’s rather clever troll, or an invented persona by one of the other frequent posters?

Comment

Too much of a caricature to be real. You visit a thread, post some Victorian era opinion and pictures and scuttle off. I don't think you are "troll" so much but rather you are a period piece.

Comment

Too much of a caricature to be real. You visit a thread, post some Victorian era opinion and pictures and scuttle off. I don't think you are "troll" so much but rather you are a period piece.
                      Why is it so hard to believe that some Canadians might actually have hard right views?

Comment

This isn't "hard right" unless the phrase means stupid and uninformed.

Adam Nobody sure got what he deserved. Sitting on the ground preparing a sign ("Let Donna Graduate") in the designated protest area when he was assaulted without provocation by a gang of cops thugs. Yep, he got what he deserved.

You're a joke bc1871. Unlike Wiglaf, you aren't funny.

Comment

This isn't "hard right" unless the phrase means stupid and uninformed.

Adam Nobody sure got what he deserved. Sitting on the ground preparing a sign ("Let Donna Graduate") in the designated protest area when he was assaulted without provocation by a gang of cops thugs. Yep, he got what he deserved.

You're a joke bc1871. Unlike Wiglaf, you aren't funny.
                          Well first off, having seen the video I didn’t see anything that closely resembled “brutality”, but instead what has become more common standard operating procedures in a modern North American policing.

The officers dropped the subject to the ground, and proceeded to subdue him. Now according to current policies in Canada, an officer may use force against a subject so long as he is resisting. Now obviously if any incident were to come to trial, the officer would then have to defend his actions and the general rule is so long as the officer is acting in defense of himself, the public or his comrades then he can use a reasonable amount of force to subdue a subject.

Also, given that numerous officers were involved in the takedown, it creates a good group of witnesses, who if brought to trial, can attest to whether or not their fellow officer had used excessive force or not. Now some anti-police advocates will simply say that they will lie to protect their brother in arms, but I firmly believe that a majority of law enforcement officers truly support the laws which they are sworn to uphold, and not lie on the stand.

Adam Nobody has a history of engaging in political protest (during the Second Iraq War), and no doubt the he was either a person of interest or an individual who had popped up on the police radar, so no doubt they would have numerous resources spent to observe his actions more carefully.

Also he claims that two plainclothes “roughed him up”, though there exists NO EVIDENCE at all!

Also if you observe the video, you’ll notice that it’s edited, and that the SIU has determined that the video was doctored. Apparently the film was off between 3-5 seconds...which proves that there was tampering.

Adam Nobody also allegedly is known as a violent offender who has carried arms to protests in the past(no firearms), which puts any officer on the alert. Now if the subject is known to be violent, and was clearly carrying a bag(which as an officer safety issue is evident), the officers would no doubt be suspicious of the subject in question.

Comment

...the SIU has determined that the video was doctored. Apparently the film was off between 3-5 seconds...which proves that there was tampering.

You're as bad as ****ing BenK.

The SIU has "determined" no such thing. Chief Blair made that accusation and was forced to retract it mere days later when called on it.

Yes, it was off for a few seconds (this is not "tampered with" you ****ing moron) as the the person filming the incident also feared for their safety in the face of rampaging cops.

Obviously you know **** all about the incident (see my uninformed comment earlier) and will instead make **** up. If you want me to take you seriously then you will have to make an argument that doesn't consist of outright lies.

I repeat, you are a joke.

Comment

Toronto police Chief Bill Blair has apologized to a man in a YouTube video which is at the centre of a controversy over police action during this summer's G20 protests.

In an earlier statement, Blair had said that the man being arrested was armed, and that the video of the arrest had been tampered with.

The YouTube clip, which has a noticeable gap of several seconds, shows six uniformed officers chasing and tackling 27-year-old Adam Nobody during a G20 protest.

But in a drastic reversal Friday, Blair clarified those statements and also apologized to Nobody.

"I have no evidence that he was armed or violent and all charges against the injured man have been withdrawn," said Blair in a statement released on Friday.

"I regret the false impression that my comments may have created and apologize to Mr. Nobody."

Nobody said he had to be taken to hospital for treatment of a fracture below his right eye.

Blair also sought to clarify the impression that the tape had been deliberately tampered with. Earlier, he said the tape had been "doctored to create a certain impression."

Analysis of the tape showed that there were several missing seconds, but the man who shot the video, John Bridge, said that he had shut off the camera so he could flee police.

But once he realized he was not the target of the chase, he again started shooting the scene.

Following Blair's earlier comments, the Special Investigations Unit said that it would reopen the investigation into the June 26 incident.

Toronto police Chief Bill Blair has apologized to a man in a YouTube video which is at the centre of a controversy over police action during this summer's G20 protests.

You are a liar bc1871.

Comment

Working...
                              X