Feeling optimistic about the human condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling optimistic about the human condition

I know that it must seem like a dark time to many, what with the Great Recession. And some greenies like to preach gloom and doom. And then there are the nattering nabobs of negativism, like Mobius. But optimism is an appropriate rational response.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

What country is jumping about like a bouncing ball at 2:10 (1939-1945/just under $4,000).
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Where can I get the raw data from this video? I'd love to build some plots of my own.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I don't know if they have it prepackaged, but I think the life expectancy information is from the UN population office. Don't know about the historical income information -- most of the GDP series that I know of (IMF, CIA, etc.) don't go back as far as 1800. I think the visualization software is freeware.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

gapminder.org

Wonderfull place. I remember that people from this site/organisation cried out for ALL the world's Statistics Bureau's to release there RAW data so they can work with it. So far they have little success as only the processed data is released (if they are lucky).
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            I know that it must seem like a dark time to many, what with the Great Recession. And some greenies like to preach gloom and doom. And then there are the nattering nabobs of negativism, like Mobius. But optimism is an appropriate rational response.
            I've been thinking along the same lines recently. Where is the present day RR ?
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

great vid
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

gapminder is the ****. I've advertised that website on Apolyton many times.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Wow, what were we doing before 1810?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    America was only just starting to show the rest of the world the way forward.

Comment

Such is the power of industrialization, a singularity which ignited exponential improvements in the human condition.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Living lives that were nasty, brutish, and short.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                          I've been thinking along the same lines recently. Where is the present day RR ?
                          RR?

It's interesting to note that in the US, for every year that goes by, the life expectancy increases by about 1/3rd of a year, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                            Living lives that were nasty, brutish, and short.
                            I initially read this "nasty, british, and short"...

Comment

I believe RR is meant to be "Ronald Reagan," famous optimist and senile-man-in-charge-of-gigantic-nuclear-arsenal.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X