China council endorses 'harsh penalties' in deadly coal mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China council endorses 'harsh penalties' in deadly coal mine

Good to see China taking action against companies that don't take care of their workers.

(CNN) -- China's State Council has "approved imposing harsh penalties" for 40 people held responsible for a coal mine disaster that killed more than 100 miners, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.

The state council -- similar to the U.S. Cabinet -- includes the head of each governmental department and the premier, and is China's chief civilian administrative body.

Twelve people -- including the mine's director -- are facing criminal punishment, according to Xinhua. An additional 28 are to receive "disciplinary and administrative punishments." The chairman of the state-owned mine's holding group was also removed, Xinhua said.

The explosion occurred at the Xinxing mine in northeastern Heilongjiang province in November 2009. According to state-run media, the cause of the blast was a gas leak combined with poor ventilation. It killed 104 miners, according to reports.

The Chinese government is attempting to improve mine safety, as mine accidents are common in China, resulting in 2,631 deaths in 2009, according to Xinhua.

Read more: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/12/01/china.mine.punishment/index.html

40 more people to have their lives ruined by those accidents.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The beatings will continue until mine safety improves!
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I see China are going with the softly-softly approach and not executing everyone...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

They need to do something. Mining accidents are one of the things in which China is a leader.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That would be great if I had any faith in their legal system.

I have no doubt they will find most (if not all) guilty as charged.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

2600 deaths a year. WOW.
              But with a little research this isn't much different than rates in the US around 1900. In fact 1907 had about 3200.
              Currently the average is under 50, so it shows what you can accomplish if you make it a priority. Let's hope it doesn't take them 100 years to reach these types of levels.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is there a mining deaths / number of miners rate anywhere? That's a bit more telling than raw number of deaths, IMHO...
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

On the site I checked they did a ratio of per 200,000 hours of mining.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Man-hours, I assume?
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Well to be fair there were technological developments that have allowed for improved safety so hence the slower improvement. China should be able to make a jump in that respect...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

China council endorses 'harsh penalties' in deadly coal mine
                        Coal Mining.

Comment

This is become a problem because the value of Chinese workers is rising faster than the value of coal.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X