Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

I think this is awesome, finally proof of oxygen on other worlds.

A spacecraft has tasted oxygen in the atmosphere of another world for the first time while flying low over Saturn's icy moon, Rhea.

Nasa's Cassini probe scooped oxygen from the thin atmosphere of the planet's moon while passing overhead at an altitude of 97km in March this year.

Until now, wisps of oxygen have only been detected on planets and their moons indirectly, using the Hubble space telescope and other major facilities.

Instruments aboard Cassini revealed an extremely thin oxygen and carbon dioxide atmosphere that is sustained by high-energy particles slamming into the moon's surface and kicking up atoms, molecules and ions.

Astronomers have counted 62 moons orbiting Saturn. At 1500km wide, Rhea is the second largest and is thought to be made almost entirely of ice.

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov/25/oxygen-saturn-moon-rhea

I'm gonna assume they aint got stromatilites (how do ya spell that) so there must be a natural non-life process for producing O2

Comment

What's more fascinating is that there were more than 105 viewers and only two replies so far.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

That would have been Rhean stromatolites googling themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          What's more fascinating is that there were more than 105 viewers and only two replies so far.
          Typical with serious threads here. Even the jokes are bad.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I tell you, the only gases discovered near my rhea are methane and sulphur dioxide...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Is your Rhea brown or yellow? Don't ammonia at the crapulence of that pun, or piss yourself too much.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And swiftly another serious thread descends into toilet humour!
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                  Is your Rhea brown or yellow? Don't ammonia at the crapulence of that pun, or piss yourself too much.
                  My Rhea is more like Uranus Or like its satellite Miranda...it has a massive crack
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X