Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get rid of the incorrect use of the word already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get rid of the incorrect use of the word already?

No, I thought not.

and which word is that?! "already"?
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Is this like the alright/all right thing?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No. There is no alright/all right thing.

There is an already thing, though, and it is an affront to civilisation.

Comment

hmmm... MW seems to think that usage is entirely appropriate:
          prior to a specified or implied past, present, or future time : by this time : previously; —used as an intensive… See the full definition
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Can you present perfectly?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's a shame we have not got rid of the incorrect usage already.

Comment

MW is an abomination unto lexicography.

A real dictionary of the English language - like the Oxford or the Collins, both of which I have in front of me, does not stoop to such depths as to attempt to justify madey-uppy-type words.

Comment

My Oxford English Dictionary doesn't have the word internet innit.

Comment

Cort Haus
                    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles
                    Deity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aaaaah he's a brit. I guess he's just upset that the evolution of the queen's is driven by the US these days

Comment

****ing Hell Sherlock, my location is on every post. No need to triumphantly pull it out of my profile.

I have no interest in what English the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas speak anyway. Orf with their heads.

Comment

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                          ****ing Hell Sherlock, my location is on every post. No need to triumphantly pull it out of my profile.

I have no interest in what English the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas speak anyway. Orf with their heads.
                          The standard is "english as spoken by Mrs Saxe-Coburg-Gotha".
                          If UK becomes a republic does that mean we will have no standards? Unless she keeps her job in the colonies.

Comment

You're welcome to her. We are quite capable of looking after our language, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                              You're welcome to her. We are quite capable of looking after our language, thanks.
                              You couldn't call your country the United Kingdom anymore if you get rid of her.

The United Former-Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X