Study: Few Afghans know about 9/11, reason for war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: Few Afghans know about 9/11, reason for war

We should really get the information out there. Sadly most Afghans can't read or write.

KABUL — Afghans in two crucial southern provinces are almost completely unaware of the September 11 attacks on the United States and don't know they precipitated the foreign intervention now in its 10th year, a new report showed on Friday.

The report by The International Council on Security and Development (ICOS) policy think-tank showed 92 percent of 1,000 Afghan men surveyed in Helmand and Kandahar know nothing of the hijacked airliner attacks on U.S. targets in 2001.

"The lack of awareness of why we are there contributes to the high levels of negativity toward the NATO military operations and made the job of the Taliban easier," ICOS President Norine MacDonald told Reuters from Washington.

The report said 81 percent of those interviewed in the south thought al-Qaida would return to Afghanistan if the Taliban regained power, and that 72 percent thought al-Qaida would again use the country to launch attacks against the West.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40273302/

So what would you suggest, really?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      So what would you suggest, really?
      Setting up schools and educating them.
      But as for the current adults, we have to show them videos and stuff of what happened and explain it in their native tongue.

Comment

Take over their infrastructure, such that it is? Good luck with that one.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What would that bring? Do you think that if a stray bomb hits a village (or wedding party, as happens all too often) the people will say: "never mind, it's all justified because a decade ago some loons flew four planes into the American heart"?
          The Afghan liberation is FUBAR, and any education on 9/11 is completely beside the point with regard to the current situation.
          Last edited by germanos; November 20, 2010, 03:41.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

And the article doesn't make sense:

"The report by The International Council on Security and Development (ICOS) policy think-tank showed 92 percent of 1,000 Afghan men surveyed in Helmand and Kandahar know nothing of the hijacked airliner attacks on U.S. targets in 2001."

doesn't compute with

"The report said 81 percent of those interviewed in the south thought al-Qaida would return to Afghanistan if the Taliban regained power, and that 72 percent thought al-Qaida would again use the country to launch attacks against the West."
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Protocol View Post
              Setting up schools and educating them.
              But as for the current adults, we have to show them videos and stuff of what happened and explain it in their native tongue.
              If foreigners forces were in my country I would simply want them gone. Their mere presence in my country is the big deal. Videos wouldn't change my mind. Their explanations and reasons for being here would not change my mind.

Comment

nm
                Blah

Comment

It stopped being about 9/11 about 2 weeks after we occupied the place.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

plus of course, in a very america centric way the author of the article seems to have ignored the fact that the country has been at war for 30+ years. what difference does it make to a some afghan farmer if the people fighting and killing are russians, americans or his own countrymen?
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's a bit like the First World War.

"You're an Englishman killing Germans because a few years ago a Bosnian killed an Austrian and a Czech in Serbia. Any further questions?"
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I'm suspicious of the assumptions here. I think the enemy has an interest in people knowing what they did on 9-11. If no one else is spreading they word, they are.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Your typical Afghan peasant doesn't give a **** Kid.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

And why should they? They've got it worse than us, so why would they be so concerned with our problems.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

A much better recruiting tool for the "bad guys" is the mere fact of our presence in their country.

They can literally point to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X