Bestow Your Wisdom Upon Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bestow Your Wisdom Upon Me

Since I'm going to be finishing my IT Security degree in about 4 weeks, I want to begin putting together a reading list and reorganizing my goals. I want to prepare ahead of time for the void that is going to be left when I no longer have this big goal to work towards every day, and the subsequent reality that it could take months to find a job. Obviously a large part of my day will be spent trying to find a job, but I need other things to keep me going and take up all of my time. So, I figure this is a good place to ask for book recommendations given the diverse array of interests on here.

Japanese: An obvious one. I plan to finish what I started and become fluent in reading and writing. I have something like 2GB of books sitting on my hard drive right now but if anyone has anything feel free to recommend it.

English: I never actually learned the technical aspects of English, and in fact, my understanding of Japanese grammar is probably equal to my understanding of English. I figure it's probably a good idea to really perfect it, and what I learn here will probably give me a greater understanding of Japanese as well.

C# and Python: Learning these are my short term tech goals. I'm looking for some decent books on these. I prefer programming books that are light on overly verbose explanations and heavy on coding. Basically the exact opposite of my current Java book.

Wine: Looking for some decent books on wine for a beginner. I'm interested in wine because I like it, it has nutritional value, and it will add character I think and perhaps a sense of class. I'm sure there's some wine connoisseurs on here.

Finance and Investment: I have to admit, this doesn't really interest me, but from a practical perspective I need to learn it. Specifically I'm interested in personal investment.

East Asian Philosophy and History: Purely for enjoyment. I've gotten tired of reading nothing but technical books. I'm also interested in some entertaining history books that aren't East Asian in nature. Actually, history is always entertaining no matter what it is so just fire away.

I'm also interested in other skills, hobbies, or interests that you think would be worthy of pursuit. This should keep me busy until I find a job and begin my M.S. in Information Assurance. Hopefully I'll find one fast.

dont go toward the light

Comment

You're supposedly into biochemistry... why the hell not read biochem textbooks?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Because biochem is a long term goal? Are you not aware of how long term and short term goals work? I even specifically stated my time line in other threads regarding this goal. Sorry Albi, this thread wasn't made for idiots. Stick to the music thread.

Comment

If you like philosophy and history there were some (western) philosophy books I enjoyed reading (all from ancient times).
          - The Epistles of Seneca
          - The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
          - The consolations of philosophy (by Boethius)
          - Arrian

I recall a very enjoyable history book called "Warfare in the classical world". I can't remember the name of the author. I particularly enjoyed this book.

Comment

I'll definitely look into those. Thanks.

Comment

I think LSD and Peyote would make fascinating hobbies for you.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfharris View Post
                - Arrian
                An all-time classic Poly character-string.

Comment

I thin you would like Marcus Aurelius since you dislike so much useless pleasure
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                    An all-time classic Poly character-string.
                    The Poly Arrian has certainly put up some "good to read" posts in the Civ strategy threads.
                    The ancient Arrian has "good to read" philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                      I'm also interested in other skills, hobbies, or interests that you think would be worthy of pursuit.
                      1. Get a job
                      2. Continue acting like a screwball on Apolyton for my amusement.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfharris View Post

I recall a very enjoyable history book called "Warfare in the classical world". I can't remember the name of the author. I particularly enjoyed this book.
                        By John Gibson Warry? I have it.
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          1. Get a job
                          2. Continue acting like a screwball on Apolyton for my amusement.
                          I'm sorry, who are you again?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            By John Gibson Warry? I have it.
                            I still can't remember the name and my copy is in storage. It had maps and diagrams of many Greek and Roman battles, many pictures of armour and military equipment. Very good coverage of the Persian wars and Alexander's conquest of Persia. Does it sound like we are talking about the same book?

Comment

The cover of my edition:

One of the older editions:

Comment

Working...
                              X