I just realized...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just realized...

That by opting to contribute to a roth 401k rather than a traditional 401k I can choose to pay relatively similar (risk-adjusted NPV) taxes to either the US or the US/Canada with some probability

Interesting. The bidding will commence immediately.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Hm? Since you pay taxes on a Roth account now, rather than at withdrawal, wouldn't you necessarily be paying them to the US?

Comment

I think I edited you.

The roth means I pay to the US, the traditional means I may pay to the US or Canada
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The only thing to bear in mind is that pols in Canada might not feel any obligation to not expropriating me in 30 years' time.

Also, I may want to retire to some country that doesn't recognize Roths. Or, that has a dramatically lower tax on income. Or, that doesn't charge capital gains.

So many variables.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, shouldn't you be over the limit anyway?

edit: no need to actually answer this, of course

Comment

What limit? 401ks have no income limit, AFAIK
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Roth eligibility starts phasing out around 100k.

edit: you're married, so ~150k IIRC.

edit2: from wiki

* Single filers: Up to $106,000 (to qualify for a full contribution); $106,000-$121,000 (to be eligible for a partial contribution)
              * Joint filers: Up to $167,000 (to qualify for a full contribution); $167,000-$177,000 (to be eligible for a partial contribution)[4]
              * Married filing separately (if the couple lived together for any part of the year): $0 (to qualify for a full contribution); $0–$10,000 (to be eligible for a partial contribution).

Comment

That is for IRAs, not 401ks

edit: http://www.irs.gov/retirement/articl...2956,00.html#9

Do the same income restrictions that apply to Roth IRAs apply to designated Roth contributions?

No, there are no limits on an employee’s income in determining if he or she can make designated Roth contributions. Of course, the employee has to have salary from which to make any 401(k) or 403(b) deferrals.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oooh, nice. My employer doesn't offer a Roth option (not that that matters for me right now)

Comment

Your employer sucks.

The dilemma I face is the following:

1) I likely face a higher marginal tax rate currently than the effective tax rate I will face in retirement. Therefore I should favour a traditional IRA

2) The contribution limit (16.5k) will begin to bite in 2011, which pushes me toward Roth

3) I am risk averse to upward swings in marginal tax rates. Favor Roth

4) I am risk averse to future rule changes. Favor traditional
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Assuming I work till I'm 50, the current employee match, a 6% real rate of return and withdrawals at 65, I will have 4 mill in 2010 pretax dollars in my retirement accounts when I start withdrawing from them. If I withdraw at 60 I'll have just under 3 mill

That is in addition to whatever non tax-advantaged savings I build up
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I try to diversify my retirement accounts to account for some of the variables that you mention, but I don't know what I would do with your two extra options (Canada/US and Roth 401k/traditional 401k). My employer only offers a traditional 401(k), so I also put money in a Roth IRA.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          I try to diversify my retirement accounts to account for some of the variables that you mention, but I don't know what I would do with your two extra options (Canada/US and Roth 401k/traditional 401k). My employer only offers a traditional 401(k), so I also put money in a Roth IRA.
                          I know a ceiling on your earnings.

I have no option to put in Canadian accounts and receive favourable US tax treatment, AFAIK
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's probably not too tough to figure out my earnings, so I don't mind.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My company has a roth401(k) option. We ultimately decided that our tax bracket at retirement > our tax bracket now.

You can't know for absolutely sure, of course, but it's probably so.

Our combined income has crept past the Roth IRA limit so that's now out as a hedge.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X