True British patience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Speech, even for idiots.

You can tell I support that because I agreed to moderate this place.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

action speaks louder than words
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
        Free bananas?
        Bananas is innocent!
        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

I don't get them. There are enough parts of the world that have Sharia Law...they should move to them Or they should shut the f**k up. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should be stopped from saying what they want, but their ingratitude for the standard of living they receive in my country compared to some backwards Islamic sh*thole really annoys me.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

PH echoing the sentiments that inspired http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

(to laugh at people who say stuff like that...)
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

That link was hilarious Mike.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Oh come on, do you think it is remotely acceptable to want Sharia Law? As I said, I am not advocating silencing or imprisonment, but I do disapprove of their sentiment in the strongest sense.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think it's reasonable for anyone to lobby for law changes if that's what they want, even if I hate the changes they are lobbying for. That's democracy.

But "if they like it so much why don't they go live there" is a total cliché.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Just because it is cliched doesn't make it an invalid argument. All that's required is the postulate that the desirability of the current country is due at least in part to the difference being debated...
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I didn't say it was invalid.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I don't think it's that logical though. If someone says "I don't like this thing about our country" for you to suggest that person moves somewhere else, where just that thing is different, because there are a huge amount of other differences too. Which may cumulatively be more important.

It's not completely ridiculous (although it is a bit naive) to suggest that you want to live in a prosperous first world UK, with certain laws changed to fit more with your religions.

And we tend to say "if you don't like it why don't you go home" more to people with different coloured skin. We don't often tell Catholics lobbying against stem cell research "if you don't like it, why don't you go live in the Vatican". It's become a bit of an "I'm not a racist but..." type statement.

I'm not suggesting that PH is racist, o/c not.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

People in the US often suggest that those well to the left of them go to Cuba, so it's not necessarily racially motivated.

It's hard to claim that something like sharia law has NOTHING to do with why Iran sucks more than the UK...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The problem is that what they are attempting to do is directly emulate the laws of countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran, and these people tend to have links to such countries, and from my perspective, this gives the appearance of them wanting to turn the UK into a country like the one of their ancestry...and this definitely seems to be a particular trait of muslims...you don't see other nationalities coming here and doing that. Something like stem cell research is within the scope of our current position as a society as something open to discussion. Laws which are misogynistic and brutal are not and don't fit within the scope of the progress our society has made (and I'm sorry if that sounds racist, but these laws are something straight out of the history books, we've had various forms of emancipations and enlightenment since).

So I think within the context of the changes to our society they want to enact and their motivations, then yes, I think it is reasonable to say to go to a country where these laws are in place already...
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

A particular trait of a small minority of extremely vocal Muslim extremists, who are often cited by British racists as a reason to "send them all back where they came from".

In Britain it's hard to separate it from that context.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X