Why do you vote the way you vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah View Post
    And I firmly believe that most democrats could give a rats ass about minorities but have a firm grasp of the mathematics involved and are just concerned with staying in power.
    I hoped this wasn't true of Obama, but he came out the other day and said this...

Originally posted by POTUS
    And if Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's gonna be harder and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/transcript-of-president-barack-obama-with-univision.html
    "

Comment

I don't know what I would vote for if I were an American. The republicans are wacko, at least some of them. So they are out. The democrats are in line of the conservative party over here, so they probably would be closest, but just as the conservatives here, I'm just not buying it. America needs more parties!
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I would vote for more parties arty:

I don't vote in local elections because I'm not actually part of the local communities where by law I would be allowed to vote. I don't own land, don't have kids, move around a lot, and my income is derived from the internet. I feel those local decisions should be left to those actually involved in that locality.

I don't vote in presidential elections because the options are pointless (barring hindsight), and the electoral college and states I could vote in makes my vote completely irrelevant anyways.

I do however vote with my feet and my dollars. There just aren't many of them.

Comment

I go through a process.

First, decide whether they are competent to hold office (low bar, even if plenty of candidates miss it)
          What is their ideology? The closer to mine, the better.

Short process.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Straight party... GOP
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

In before the gay jokes

Comment

I had already resisted making one.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

I didn't say Gay Old Party?
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

MrFun will appreciate that I vote for the Party of Lincoln!
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Why? Was he gay?
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Please please please please please no-one answer that question seriously.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

He seemed happy
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

And then there's this.

"I went for the tea party!" said Linda Pearson, 50, a housekeeper who sounded as though she surprised even herself with her vote.

A first-time voter in 2008, when she cast her ballot for Barack Obama, Pearson moved to Las Vegas two years ago from California but is scared about the soaring jobless rates in the city's crucial hospitality and construction industries.

"I just think he's been in power quite a long time, and nothing seems to have improved," Pearson said. "I think the whole country is just saying, 'I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.' I know I am."

Pearson didn't know who she was going to vote for until she started walking over to the polling location. "I just prayed on my way here - 'God, please show me who to vote for.' "

The message, she said, was: not Harry Reid.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"I just prayed on my way here - 'God, please show me who to vote for.' "

The message, she said, was: not Harry Reid.

Revelations 22:22 "not Harry Reid"

Comment

I vote ideology almost always. I've never thought that being a tactical voter made sense.

However, my vote doesn't really count in most races, since the government of DC is dominated by radical lefties.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X