• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body of Missing British Spy Found Stuffed in Bag in His Apartment

MI6 Murder: Post-Mortem Cannot Explain Death
    Share41 Share Comments (64)9:16am UK, Thursday August 26, 2010

Adam Arnold and Jo Couzens, Sky News Online

A post-mortem on an MI6 worker found dead in his London flat has proven "inconclusive" but shows he was not stabbed, according to Sky sources.

It was the first examination of Gareth Williams' body, which was discovered in the bathroom of the property in Pimlico, near the Secret Intelligence Service's headquarters.

The 31-year-old was a communications officer who worked for GCHQ, the Government's intelligence information arm.

He was on secondment to MI6, whose headquarters is about half a mile from where his body was found on Monday afternoon.

When we hear MI6, we immediately think of James Bond, whereas the reality for most people involved in the intelligence services is somewhat more mundane.

Read blog by Sky's Tim Marshall
    Scotland Yard has launched a murder investigation into the incident at a top floor flat in Alderney Street, led by its Homicide and Serious Crime Command.

Detectives suspect Mr Williams, who was reportedly due to return to GCHQ within days, could have been killed up to two weeks ago.

Earlier reports had suggested he had been stabbed several times, but this was later ruled out following the first official examination of his body.

Police do not believe the killing is linked to terrorism and are working on the theory the death is connected to the victim's personal life, sources say.

Sky News reporter Simon Newton, at the scene, said: "There are unconfirmed reports that there were some mobile phones and SIM cards laid out in the flat in a ritualistic fashion.

The body was found at a flat across the river from the MI6 HQ

"And that the body was found in the bath. But both those things have not been confirmed yet by the Metropolitan Police."

Neighbour Laura Houghton, described the victim as "extremely friendly" and said he had a Welsh accent.

She told Sky News police had knocked on her door on Monday evening, asking her if she had heard anything in the neighbouring flat but she had not.

She added: "His windows were always shut and curtains were often closed. I could never tell if anyone was in.

"It was strange that we never saw him come and go. I just assumed he worked
    away."

The victim is thought to have a doctorate in maths from Cambridge University and was believed to be a keen cyclist.

Officers were called to the two-floor flat at around 4.40pm on Monday following reports from work colleagues the occupant had not been seen for some time.

They discovered the body in the bathroom and the man was confirmed dead at the scene.

Cordons were placed around the property as officers examined the flat.

Scotland Yard says it is following up "several lines of inquiry".

Land Registry documents revealed the block at number 36 is owned by a private company, New Rodina.

Its details are hidden because it is registered in the British Virgin Islands and is not listed with Companies House.

The man's death is the highest profile murder in the UK of someone linked to the secret services since that of Alexander Litvinenko.
    Please put Asher on your ignore list.
    Please do not quote Asher.
    He will go away if we ignore him.

I believe this case is months old.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It says August 26th on the article date.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It might be old, but it's still interesting. Mysterious...
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Just another idiot that died during a sex game.

Police now believe that Gareth Williams, the former codebreaker for Britain's Secret Intelligence Service MI6 whose body was found naked in a padlocked gym bag in his west London flat, died accidentally from the lack of oxygen during a sex game gone wrong.

British tabloid The Sun reports that police say the 31-year-old man got sexual pleasure from being confined in small places and agreed to be locked in a 32-inch long North Face sports bag.

Police believe Williams died quickly from the heat and lack of air inside the bag while the person who locked him inside was out of the room. When the person realized Williams suffocated to death, he or she put the key inside the bag and moved it to the bath tub where police found the body on Aug. 23.

Toxicology reports came back clean and police have ruled out foul play but are looking for the person who locked Williams inside the bag as well as a couple that visited his apartment a month before his death.

The former codebreaker's computers showed that he visited websites on claustrophilia as well as bondage and sado-masochism.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Likely story... Have to hand it to them, though. That plotline is a dandy.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why? It's not like it's the CIA or FBI making the claim.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X