In Praise of Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of Fermentation

So, my wife and I bottled our first successful batch of mead a few weeks ago. Okay, technically it's something called tej, or Ethiopian honey-wine, but mead is simpler. We had one batch come out as basically the most generic booze imaginable, which is weird since we were trying for a metheglin with that batch. The wife insists it was the "inferior" honey we used that time.

Anyway, the latest batch is quite nice, like a good white wine only (naturally) with no fruity notes and a hint of honey flavor instead. If I were one of those liquor experts I'd probably say it has hints of chocolate, turpentine and squirrel piss or something. As I'm not, I'll only say: yum. And to top it off, I opened one of our bottles last night and POP! Bubbling mead. Hell yeah.

I asked my wife (who's the "expert" here) if maybe we could make whisky next, but she says good oak barrels are hard to come by. Regardless, homebrewing
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Squirrel piss, huh? Well, congratulations on that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Moonshine! Right up Sloww's back alley!
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I need to do another batch of home brew. Over at CG I've been mulling over the idea of trying to make some authentic medieval English hedgerow mead.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you need a taste tester for the mead, send me a bottle and I'll be happy to try it out for you.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I don't think we have a recipe for anything known as "hedgerow mead." Our booze is about as simple as it gets--one part honey to four parts water, I think. We discovered by accident that grated lemon peel will somehow clarify the beverage without noticeably altering the flavor. It bonds with the crud in the beverage and sinks to the bottom of the container, so you have double the sediment but a more attractive yellow beverage. Maybe it'll work for your stuff too. Anyway, good luck with your burdock-hunt, Oerdin!
            1011 1100

Comment

I'm curious. Have you heard of anybody fermenting maple syrup?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I haven't, but I'm by no means an expert. Certainly there's no reason I can think of why it shouldn't ferment; it's pure sugar. I'm not sure it'd be what I'd call tasty, though. Maybe if you used grade A syrup--I normally eat B on pancakes, because it has a richer maple flavor, but that might not be a good thing here.
                1011 1100

Comment

I guess using sap before it is boiled all the way down to maple syrup would be a better route.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You can use rich molasses too.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, I certainly wouldn't suggest fermenting pure syrup. Our mead is only one-fifth honey, IIRC (the rest is water). A similar treatment should work for maple-booze, and be much simpler than procuring raw sap. As for molasses, that would be rum. Well, weak rum, anyway.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Turns out my wife has such a recipe in one of her books--"Sacred and herbal healing beers," by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Seems early Americans (not Natives, European settlers) sometimes got hammered off fermented maple. There are three recipes. One, from 1846, calls for "spruce essence," another starts with raw sap, and here's the third:

MAPLE BEER

3 lbs maple syrup
                        1 gal water
                        yeast

Heat water until maple syrup will dissolve. Cool to 70 F, pour into fermenter, add yeast and ferment until complete. Prime bottles, fill, and cap. Ready to drink in seven days.

Yeah, pretty terse. I assume those "seven days" are after bottling, because it'll take a good sight longer for the yeast to stop kicking. Our mead took several months; then again, our mead had no yeast added, we took in the wild varieties. In any case, bottling prematurely can lead to exploded bottles, so CYA. The book doesn't say anything about flavor, but I'd forgotten that "birch beer" (the preceding recipe) was originally an actual beer, so hey, why not?
                        1011 1100

Comment

Is this technically moonshine?
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Turns out my wife has such a recipe in one of her books--"Sacred and herbal healing beers," by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Seems early Americans (not Natives, European settlers) sometimes got hammered off fermented maple. There are three recipes. One, from 1846, calls for "spruce essence," another starts with raw sap, and here's the third:

MAPLE BEER

3 lbs maple syrup
                            1 gal water
                            yeast

Heat water until maple syrup will dissolve. Cool to 70 F, pour into fermenter, add yeast and ferment until complete. Prime bottles, fill, and cap. Ready to drink in seven days.

Yeah, pretty terse. I assume those "seven days" are after bottling, because it'll take a good sight longer for the yeast to stop kicking. Our mead took several months; then again, our mead had no yeast added, we took in the wild varieties. In any case, bottling prematurely can lead to exploded bottles, so CYA. The book doesn't say anything about flavor, but I'd forgotten that "birch beer" (the preceding recipe) was originally an actual beer, so hey, why not?
                            Birch was used for just about everything in traditional European folk medicine and folk crafts. It even has asprine in the bark so peasants used to chew on the bark or make tea out of the bark to cure minor aches and pains.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah generally mead is good for you. Just filter it well. Here in Finland its the traditional New Year and mead is of course the drink of the season.
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X