Every cop in town quits after Mexico attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every cop in town quits after Mexico attack

Don't you know the citizens in this relatively small town are feeling safe today?

Gunmen fired more than 1,000 bullets at station

MEXICO CITY — The entire police force of a small northern Mexican town quit after gunmen attacked their recently inaugurated headquarters, according to local reports on Wednesday.

Los Ramones Mayor Santos Salinas said nobody was injured in Monday night's attack, during which gunmen fired more than 1,000 bullets at the building's facade, according to Noroeste newspaper's website. Six grenades, of which three detonated, were also flung at the building, the newspaper reported.

"Fortunately, those who were inside the building threw themselves on the ground and nobody was hurt," Salinas told the newspaper.

All 14 members of the force reportedly resigned Tuesday. Nobody answered the phones at Salinas' offices, according to The Associated Press.

The new police headquarters had been inaugurated three days earlier.

Los Ramones is in Nuevo Leon, a state torn by fighting between the Gulf and Zetas drug gangs. Police stations in small northeastern Mexican towns are frequently attacked, and several mayors have been assassinated.

Mexico's ill-equipped municipal forces often quit after cartel attacks. President Felipe Calderon has proposed eliminating Mexico's municipal forces and replacing them with one force per state.

According to Salinas, at 9:30 p.m. on Monday unknown assailants arrived at the police station and launched a 20-minute attack, Noroeste reported. Police backup arrived shortly after.

While the mayor had not received threats leading up to the attack, police earlier noticed suspicious men driving luxury pickups in the area, the newspaper reported. Fearing a strike, policemen lined up their patrol cars in front of the building in order to create a barricade, the newspaper added.

It was the second attack in less than a week against police installations in the state of Nuevo Leon. On Oct. 19, two grenades were thrown at a police shelter in the town of Sabinas Hidalgo, Noroeste reported.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Where is the Mexican military in all of this? They've already had 28,000 people die in this drug war since 2006; no point in holding back. Declare martial law and lockdown the country.

EDIT: Nevermind. They've been using the Mexican military this whole time.

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

They are busy protecting the wealthy elite, who have decided the let the rest of the country take care of itself with no resources.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Wikipedia says they have mobilized 50K troops on the drug war and have had 200 soldiers killed so far.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

War on drugs is unwinnable. Legalize and tax. It's the only way.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Cocaine, too?

Comment

Actually, I don't think that will solve the violent crime problem in Mexico. It's too entrenched.

However, it is a warning sign for the US.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Taking the money out would help. Has to be all drugs or you just shift the problem.
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes, but how are you going to collect the taxes from the gangs? It's not just about money for them anymore. It's about authority and power.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    They are busy protecting the wealthy elite, who have decided the let the rest of the country take care of itself with no resources.
                    When you go to Mexico you see the Mexican Army patroling streets and soldiers stand guard in malls, at toll booths on the freeways, at schools, etc... It's been that way for decades now.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Produce and tax the drug in the market, ie. The US. Thus bypassing gangs and providing money, jobs for American farmers and retailers.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I think the ill effects of a coke-addicted populace would be greater than any advantages of being able to tax cocaine. Even with the reduced crime.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          War on drugs is unwinnable. Legalize and tax. It's the only way.
                          QFT - and all of it, known and unknown drugs... once they become more popular - tax
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I think the ill effects of a coke-addicted populace would be greater than any advantages of being able to tax cocaine. Even with the reduced crime.
                            You make it sound like everyone would start using coke if it was legalized.

Comment

Taking the money out would help. Has to be all drugs or you just shift the problem.
                              True, to an extent. But I don't think there are enough people interested in PCP, for example, to fund many gangs. You could feasibly leave some of the really extreme, fringe drugs few people use because they're just that bloody dangerous.

Produce and tax the drug in the market, ie. The US. Thus bypassing gangs and providing money, jobs for American farmers and retailers.
                              Fine by me, except for a couple of problems:

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                              One, there are these effects. While they might not rob people to get a fix, a larger segment of the population suffering the health effects of hardcore, nasty crap like cocaine carries a cost of its own. Healthcare costs, which we already have a lot of. However, I don't know how much legalization would increase cocaine use, or how the problems would compare to the benefits. No way to really know until we try it, unfortunately.

The second problem is the unfortunate relationship it creates between producers and the government. I don't want the situation we have with tobacco--"no, we won't ban it, that would kill our revenue, but we'll tax it heavily and arbitrarily sue them now and then for a little extra, just to show we don't like them"--set up with cocaine growers. But I guess a little gross hypocrisy never killed anybody, so the first problem is the main one.

But we should, at the very least, stop putting potheads in jail. That's just a farce.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X