Latest UK budget cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
    It seems to me like cutting the social welfare/state pension stuff would sort of solve the budget problem but they went for defense and police first? Maybe it's the American in me but that seems backwards. Shouldn't basic government services come BEFORE handouts? Just sayin'

This is mind-bogglingly stupid.

Protip: "handouts" aren't welfare-destroying government services in the way a useless hunk of floating iron is.
    QFT

Defense is the first thing that should be cut.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
      Why is the NHS the only thing spared in a budget that is loaded with austerity measures?
      It isn't the only thing. See rant on public sector pensions.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        Because it is extremely popular and they know they'd be out of office in a heart beat if they touched it? Duh.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          It isn't the only thing. See rant on public sector pensions.
          And I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that people nearing retirement age is a massive voting block. And one which is a key part of the Tory majority in a lot of marginal seats.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

My understanding is that they are still building the CVs because if they didn't build them it would cost as much as it costs to build them.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The first one is virtually finished, and the contracts are quite tightly written.

But they could have cancelled the second carrier and maintained the harrier squadrons from the current carriers and fly them off the Queen Elizabeth II which I think was the original plan. I think there's also concern about job losses if they cancel the second carrier. Not sure if they care about that but the shipyard workers do.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

pretty good overall. shame the NHS has been spared, but that was expected. of course it's worth remembering that these cuts are being made because the last lot left the country without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of...
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  That was the second time in as many days that you have given one of my posts a thumbs up. If you keep this up you're going to lose all of your street cred.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It was the second time (ever) that you've made a sensible post. I'm as shocked as you.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                        X