Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with using interest-free credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with using interest-free credit?

In one of the tech threads, the brothers are acting all incredulous because I purchased a laptop, realized that my new credit card was offering 0% APR for 12 months on transfer balances and moved my balance from the laptop purchase to the new card to take advantage of the promotional offer.

Why the comments like "And you were a FINANCE major?" and "Palm. Meet face."???

I am genuinely lost. Why the hell would I not take advantage of this offer? It didn't affect my purchase decision since I bought the laptop before the offer and it sounds like just a cool bonus for me that I can pay it off gradually. What's the problem?

Hell, the money I would've used to pay it off right away is sitting in either a bank account or stock so that's like cost-free investing for me.
    Last edited by MikeH; February 11, 2013, 09:20.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

tanstaafl

Comment

1) Interest free is a ****ing lie, albie. There are balance transfer charges (generally 3-4%)
      2) Lehman Brothers
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, you aren't using the leverage to earn any arbitrage profit (do you really have much in the way of savings in accounts that pay real interest? really?), you're using it solely to shift consumption forward in time, without (it seems) a serious expectation that your income will increase over the same period in a way that would offset that shift.

But yeah, mostly tanstaafl. I think it's far more likely that you're being scammed than you've found genuinely interest-free credit available to someone with your level of credit risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          Also, you aren't using the leverage to earn any arbitrage profit (do you really have much in the way of savings in accounts that pay real interest? really?), you're using it solely to shift consumption forward in time, without (it seems) a serious expectation that your income will increase over the same period in a way that would offset that shift.

But yeah, mostly tanstaafl. I think it's far more likely that you're being scammed than you've found genuinely interest-free credit available to someone with your level of credit risk.

All this free lunch business means nothing for me, though. That's up to Chase if they want to foot the bill for my lunch. I fail to see how it's a negative for ME.

And I have reason to expect my income to increase because I will be in the military by the time the promotion ends. Why pay it off when I'm unemployed when I can pay it off later when I have a job?

And my level of credit risk? Really? What makes you think I'm risky?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            The fact that you are unemployed means you should have a fairly low credit score.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Given your repeated failures to get through basic training, I find your optimism intriguing..
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                All this free lunch business means nothing for me, though. That's up to Chase if they want to foot the bill for my lunch. I fail to see how it's a negative for ME.

And I have reason to expect my income to increase because I will be in the military by the time the promotion ends. Why pay it off when I'm unemployed when I can pay it off later when I have a job?

...do you actually know that you're getting into the military? Have the Marines or whoever accepted you, or are you just banking on their not being able to pass you up? If it's the second, that would make you something of a risk in my book.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Given your repeated failures to get through basic training, I find your optimism intriguing..
                  In the meantime we've got a ton of kids from TJ lining up for the service academies. Just rubbin' it in, sorry.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The "free lunch business" implies that if someone is offering you something that looks like free money, you probably don't understand the offer.

You're UNEMPLOYED.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      In the meantime we've got a ton of kids from TJ lining up for the service academies. Just rubbin' it in, sorry.
                      Albie wouldn't have done that because 3 years ago he was just weeks away from landing a job in IB
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The fact that you are unemployed means you should have a fairly low credit score.
                        I actually checked my FICO lately. I think it was a 737.

Comment

?

So? Does that have anything to do with me?

And KH, 3 years ago I would have been a senior in college. Why would I go to a service academy? I would've been too old, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            2) Lehman Brothers
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Yeah I heard their collapse had more to do with the fact that you worked there than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X