Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it still called "The United Negro College Fund"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it still called "The United Negro College Fund"?

Seems....... outdated? wrong?

The name, not the mission.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Why is Negro capitalized?

Comment

What would you suggest? I think the whole concept (mission) is outdated.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The United African-American College Fund?

ACK!

Comment

The United African-American College Fund?

ACK!

Comment

historical reasons.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is kind of out-dated, too, with the usage of the term colored.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              What would you suggest? I think the whole concept (mission) is outdated.
              huh? a charity that puts kids through college is outdated? What would YOU suggest? Sounds like a very fine and relevant organization to me.

The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) is an American philanthropic organization that fundraises college tuition money for black students and general scholarship funds for 39 private historically black colleges and universities.
              In 2005, the UNCF supported approximately 65,000 students at over 900 colleges and universities with approximately $113 million in grants and scholarships. About 60% of these students are the first in their families to attend college, and 62% have annual family incomes of less than $25,000.
              Granted, the whole issue of HBCU's even existing today and if they limit the real-life exposure of Black students is another topic entirely. Still, while the UNCF has relationships with 39 of those schools, their funded students can attend any university.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's outdated. It's not for putting all kids through school. It's just another thing keeping the division between people alive.
                I don't give a damn if the kid, or real person, is black or white. It there was a United White Folks College Fund, you'd go ballistic, and rightfully so.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's outdated. It's not for putting all kids through school. It's just another thing keeping the division between people alive.
                  I don't give a damn if the kid, or real person, is black or white. It there was a United White Folks College Fund, you'd go ballistic, and rightfully so.
                  There are a million scholarships out there with some of the most absurdly obscure and specific criteria. You wouldn't believe the number of scholarships offered for left-handed people only and crap like that!

Comment

Yeah, but then you are just a bloddy liberal Texan that hasn't adopted the true PCness
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

**** man!

Annually, at the Tall Clubs International Convention, TCI awards student scholarships of up to $1,000 each to tall students who are under 21 years of age and attending their first year of college in the following fall. The recipients must also meet the TCI height requirement minimums of 5'10" for women and 6'2" for men.
                      http://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarships-by-type/unusual-scholarships/little-people-america-scholarship.aspx
                      Scholarships are given, in order of preference to:

• members of LPA who have a medically diagnosed form of dwarfism
                      • immediate family members of dwarfs who are also paid members of LPA
                      • people with dwarfism who are not members of LPA
                      • disabled students in general
                      • non-disabled students who can demonstrate a need for financial educational assistance

Comment

Sure, but it's not "The Midget Scholarship".

ACK!

Comment

No, I'm lost as to what Sloww's point is. I think he's confusing the NAACP or the Black Panthers or something with the United Negro College Fund with this attitude of 'oh, it's outdated. Was relevant and important in the past when there was blatant institutionalized racism but it's just PC trash today'... it's a freaking charity that offers scholarships! Anyone can do that if you have the money. There exist scholarships for anything you can think of... only red-heads... only people born in the month of September... it's absurd really.

And somehow a scholarship foundation geared towards getting Black kids in school is outdated and absurd

Education is the most important thing to elevate any group's social standing. **** everything else. The UNCF probably has done more for Black Americans than the NAACP.

Comment

And to answer your question, Tuberski, they sort of did change it, using the initials as much as possible:

MORE than 35 years after its debut, the slogan for the United Negro College Fund, “A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Waste,” remains one of the most recognized in American advertising history.

The years, however, have not been as kind to the organization’s name, which has gradually become a source of alienation to the very people the group aims to serve. And while the fund is not prepared to drop the word “Negro” from its name, it plans to try to shift attention away from it.

A branding effort being introduced Thursday will seek to play down the full name and instead highlight the nonprofit’s initials, U.N.C.F. An updated logo will seek to communicate the changing direction of the group while putting renewed emphasis on the well-known slogan.
                            If you go to their website, http://www.uncf.org/ you won't see the word Negro anywhere.

Comment

They still say it in their radio ads.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                              X