Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First habitable exoplanet found: divert your hammers to spaceship parts: the space race is on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First habitable exoplanet found: divert your hammers to spaceship parts: the space race is on!

And it's only 20ly away. If we can reduce the trip time to 30-40 years, I bet there will be many volunteers.

Now let's get working on those fusion drives and stasis chambers!
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

Wait a second. Just give me one more turn.
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

20 light years in 30-40 years time? No. Not this century. 20 light years in 70-100 years, maybe. Would take a multigenerational ship or hibernation; both of which are a long, long way off. Although I am sure you would still get lot of volunteers.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I'm not sure I'd call it habitable just yet. We know nothing of its atmospheric content; moreover, it rotates around the star so quickly that seasons will be meaningless; if life exists on that planet, it'd be nothing like what we know here.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

If by joining the mission the colonists secure an astronaut's pension for their parents and brethren, many people would join.

I would send 48 people in the mission; 24 men, 24 women, with 12 people running the ship at any time and the remaining 36 on stasis, in a yearly cycle. This means 4 people on duty at any time (8-hour shifts). 1 in 4 should be a doctor and 1 in 4 engineer.
          George Orwell

Comment

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
              Iif life exists on that planet, it'd be nothing like what we know here.
              It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

The planet's rotation should be in tidal lock with its rotation around the star (33,6 days). This means that the planet will have a permanent day side (too hot) and a permanent night side (too cold), but there will be a ring of eternal dusk that should be habitable.
                George Orwell

Comment

wow. this is an amazing discovery but there's nothing concrete yet. Only that it is in the 'goldilocks zone'.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by axi View Post
                    The planet's rotation should be in tidal lock with its rotation around the star (33,6 days). This means that the planet will have a permanent day side (too hot) and a permanent night side (too cold), but there will be a ring of eternal dusk that should be habitable.
                    According to Mass Effect 2, that would lead to brutal storms at the dusk area.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

And according to Futurama, it would be inhabited by hyper-intelligent cats.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think ME2 is probably closer to reality in that regard. More's the pity.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Well Mass Effect gave a reason for it... the hot and cold fronts would interact and create storms (I know nothing about meteorology to know if this is true). Actually, the planet I'm thinking of rotated such that the habitable zone would move along. There was another planet that had a static cold side and hot side but you couldn't land there. I remember reading it when I probed it.

Comment

I have a cat, and I would not trust any civilization run by the likes of her. I suggest the expedition's ship be heavily armed.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

So we have a planet that we can send extreme right-wingers and extreme left-wingers to, now.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X