The new song covers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hueij View Post

Damn you C0ckney, now I'll be spending Saturday night on Youtube, listening to Johnny Cash
    it's a tough life sometimes...

anyway a few more here. first up a song that's been covered quite a few times, most famously by the white strips, here's british band the horror's take on it. the horrors covering screaming lord sutch

the horrors - jack the ripper

screaming lord sutch - jack the ripper

two rather different versions of a new order standard. there are (lots of) other covers of this as well, but these are my favourites.

&sbh

even as we speak - bizarre love triangle

commercial breakup - bizarre love triangle

new order - bizarre love triangle (album version)

and here's a tune by danish act safri duo (who charted with played alive many years ago) being remade by swedish trance producer airbase (i don't consider this just a remix because he rerecorded the vocals). i actually don't like the original at all, but i loved airbase's version back in the day.

safri duo - rise (airbase 'damage' remake)

&sbh

safri duo feat. clark anderson - rise (leave me alone)
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Here is one by one of my heroes:

I'm so lonesome, by Hank Williams, a live radio performance.

And since I spent my weekend listening to Johnny Cash:

And here is version by Danish band Volbeat. I'm going to see them in Amsterdam next December (please turn the volume down if you are at work):
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
        even as we speak - bizarre love triangle

commercial breakup - bizarre love triangle

Why, oh why do you hate me so much.
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Comment

hueji, awesome, i'd never heard volbeat's version of that before. thanks.

thoth, i heard john peel play that commercial breakup cover many years ago. we all need a little eurodance in our lives.

the bad livers covering iggy pop

the bad livers - lust for life

iggy pop - lust for life

david gray covering soft cell

david gray - say hello, wave goodbye

soft cell - say hello, wave goodbye (12" version)

also, if anyone knows where i can find the kingswoods' version of pretty vacant (called purty vacant) and icon of coil's cover of new york city boy, i will love you forever!
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Queen - Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley

Dream Theater cover of same:

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

This is why God invented music... Dusty, Breakfast in Bed. Sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it. Man, how she sings it. And that voice...

Well, since this is a cover thread I suppose I have to post a cover Okay, but the moment this came out I burned my Pretenders lp's and proclaimed a fatwa against UB40. I'm not going to embed this atrocity but if you really want to listen you can click this link (DON'T!):

ALI CAMPBELL- The Legendary Voice of UB40 -Flying High - Album Release June 29th 2009Out From Under - Single Release June 29th 2009Following the worldwide su...
                Once again...

Comment

lynyrd skynyrd covering jimmie rodgers

lynyrd skynyrd - t for texas

jimmie rodgers - old blue yodel no 1 (t for texas)

and this isn't really a cover, more of a ripoff. the original is amazing, but the ripoff has a place in my heart too for being one of the first dance music tracks i loved.

lost tribe blatantly stealing the lead from quench

lost tribe - gamemaster

quench - dreams

Comment

lynyrd skynyrd covering jimmie rodgers

lynyrd skynyrd - t for texas

jimmie rodgers - old blue yodel no 1 (t for texas)

and this isn't really a cover, more of a ripoff. the original is amazing, but the ripoff has a place in my heart too for being one of the first dance music tracks i loved.

lost tribe blatantly stealing the lead from quench

lost tribe - gamemaster

quench - dreams

Comment

johnny cash covering depeche mode

johnny cash - personal jesus

depeche mode - personal jesus

the klaxons covering grace i'll also put up a cool live version done by goldfrapp.

the klaxons - it's not over yet

goldfrapp - it's not over yet

grace - it's not over yet

Comment

here's another song which has been done many, many times, most famously by tiffany in the 80s. a lot of people aren't aware that the original was done by the excellent tommy, james & the shondells, a 60s band which our own slowwhand introduced me to many years ago. here's punk band snuff's version.

snuff - i think we're alone now

tommy, james & the shondells - i think we're alone now

this next one was originally written by chuck berry and released in the late 50s. the beach boys took the melody for 'surfin' USA', the song was also covered by the beatles, the animals and jerry lee lewis, posted below. there was also a version done by silicon teens, which i'll also put up here.

silicon teens - sweet little sixteen

jerry lee lewis - sweet little sixteen

chuck berry - sweet little sixteen

Comment

A true classic, Toots and the Maytals' Monkey Man. I saw him perform it last July.

The best version is of course by The Specials, the band that finally made me cut my hair back then... I saw them in August at the Lowlands festival.

And no, I am not going to post the Amy Winehouse version
                          Once again...

Comment

Silver Swans cover The National's "Anyone's Ghost"

Haunting, spacey, beautiful
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And for Alby...

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ben Lee covers MGMT's "Kids", acoustically: http://covermesongs.com/MP3s/123109BestCovers/Kids.mp3

Comment

Working...
                                X