How the **** does Facebook do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the **** does Facebook do that?

I had to create an account to keep in touch with a colleague of mine who's moving to New Zealand. I gave FB my e-mail address (I keep my mailbox empty), and it later suggested as a friend someone I used to MUD with. How the **** did it know we knew each other? There was nothing in the mailbox, no addresses in the address book, nothing! I'm ****ing freaked out.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Social graph mining
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Your friend probably gave facebook access to their address book.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Ah, it could've gotten my e-mail address from her messaging history.

Comment

Yup.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I really resent Facebook insisting on showing me pictures of my ex wife and her boyfriend. I blocked them from my news feed for a reason.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

At least now it's showing me a whole bunch of other guys I do not know. Or maybe they are other players from that MUD?

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                I really resent Facebook insisting on showing me pictures of my ex wife and her boyfriend. I blocked them from my news feed for a reason.
                That sucks.

I've had some weird ones though... like college professors show up (and it's not like we had any friends in common).
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  That sucks.

I've had some weird ones though... like college professors show up (and it's not like we had any friends in common).
                  That'd be the gay ones checking up on you to see if you've come out yet.

I'm not even on FB and when I get invites the emails list a whole lot of people I know. The noughties: the decade we kissed privacy goodbye.

Comment

Working...
                  X