Dock Ellis and the Greatest No-Hitter of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dock Ellis and the Greatest No-Hitter of All Time

"I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego , but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD..... I thought it was an off-day, that's how come I had it in me. I took the LSD at noon. At 1pm, his girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"

"That's when it was $9.50 to fly to San Diego. She got me to the airport at 3:30. I got there at 4:30, and the game started at 6:05pm. It was a twi-night doubleheader.

I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

The Pirates won the game, 2-0, although Ellis walked eight batters. It was the highpoint in the baseball career of one of the finer pitchers of his time, and arguably,one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports.

That some funny ****... Robin Williams does a routine about Ellis' no-hitter in his HBO special.

I'll have what he's having.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me.
      didn't reach him

Comment

I asked myself what a No-Hitler is until I realized my error
        Blah

Comment

no-Hitler
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports.
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

As I don't speak American I'm struggling a bit with thus. I'm guessing this is a reference to Baseball. Does "Ellis walked eight batters" mean he got eight players out ("out" is the cricketing word for when a batsman has been dismissed - eg: caught, bowled, stumped, run out etc)?

Is the gist of this that even though he was tripping his nuts off he played very well? So well, that it has been described as "one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports" - which sounds a bit hyperbolic?

If so I'd comment that acid can distort the perception of time dramatically - to the point that it can effectively slow time down from the perception of the observer. The ability to have more time to make a decision in any given moment could clearly be helpful in some sporting situations, though if this bloke's job was to hurl the ball at the opponent this would perhaps not to apply. Perhaps accuracy is the important attribute instead. I remember being able to play stuff on the bass that I would not normally be able to do during my, erm, research with this chemical, so there is evidence of it being able to enhance performance wrt timing, accuracy and spontaneous creativity.

If the LSD did enhance performance then it seems odd to describe a successful application of a performance-enhancing drug as "one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports". :sherlock:

Comment

It didn't enhance his performance. Hell. He got the no-hitter in spite of, not because of. Gawd, Cort.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Going to the White Horse?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

performance enhancing drug. He needs to be banned from baseball and his records stricken.

Oh and any 'greatest achievement in the history of sports' that came from baseball Baseball is not capable of producing the greatest achievement in the history of sports.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

This calls for the Robin Williams bit about Ellis.

Comment

That was not funny.
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                            Going to the White Horse?
                            The Lion, in fact.

Comment

?

and what is that retarded circular red sign with the white line going through it?

Comment

Working...
                              X