Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We will ultimately burn

At least in here we are.

I cannot believe the general level of human stupidity. Yes, we have advanced technology, we have extremely competent people developing stuff that will allow us certain level of living standards, medicine, all of this great stuff, right? But that's them, not the most of us.

The most of us are idiots. We all think what we say matters. That my opinion is as good as yours. In this relativist world, empowered by technology, we feel like blogging, using "social media", we don't even know what the **** it really means, but we need to be using it, listing all the important stuff we know. Having an opinion on everything. What you end up is millions of opinions, most of them sucks anyway, colliding with each other. And that's just the internet! Then there's cultural clashes coming up as well. The worst of it, in my superior and important opinion, is the ones who tell you what to think. This arrogant and oppressive attitude, that tells you what you have to like is paradoxical and extremely anti-intellectual, even though, of course, it takes the position of intellectualism and therefore calling shotgun on it and everyone else is the opposite. Which sounds very smart.

We might not go down with wars. I really do believe that it is possible we, as a human race, degenerate becoming more and more stupid in time. Maybe this has happened before, maybe this has never happened before, but I think it is possible. At least that our collective potential is more damaging than positive. Like the plague and the dark ages in Europe. We just might go back at any moment, like hundreds of years. I think we are just that stupid.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

You sound like Heraclitus. I remember him saying he would have nightmares about humanity in the future having become dumb and so dependent on technology to take care of us that we become like children who are incapable of surviving without our technology which we do not even know how to make or maintain because our IQ's had fallen so far.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sort of like that but more generally as well. I think technology has just made the whole "I need to have an opinion and it is as good as yours"-thing faster and more prevalent.

It's like many of the things, how people form their opinion and reality and knowledge on what's happening out there, well it's often based on what others think, what the percentages are, what does the majority think. Well, how do we know that? We just ask them, put a Likert scale on it, and Steve said 4 on the "I think higher education is very important". Now do a survey on 300 people, and now we have a fact. In my nightmares, the problem isn't one of technology, but technology certainly does offer the driver and accelerator for the burn.

You see, before the social media and blogging phenomenon, the need of having to post your opinion was lower. So the amount of possible conflicting opinions was much much lower. Now? The environment pushes you to have an opinion, and because everyone has to have one and put it out there, it's just going to give us problems.

Think it of as a series of tubes, except filled with toxic crap, and now someone is turning it on and the tubes can't hold it anymore.

Before? Before internet even, if you wanted to voice an opinion, you perhaps had to write it and get it published by a paper, or a magazine, or TALK to someone, etc. So, you did not have to have an opinion, and if you did, you had to make an effort to have it voiced. As a result there was much less noise. Now it's all noise.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka, are you waxing filosofikal on apolyton?

In this relativist world, empowered by technology, we feel like blogging, using "social media", we don't even know what the **** it really means, but we need to be using it, listing all the important stuff we know.

Irony.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Pekka is Finnish, so he is allowed to have such depressive thoughts
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

From my understanding, Finns are the most depressed people in the world.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              You sound like Heraclitus. I remember him saying he would have nightmares about humanity in the future having become dumb and so dependent on technology to take care of us that we become like children who are incapable of surviving without our technology which we do not even know how to make or maintain because our IQ's had fallen so far.
              Have you watched a cashier lately? Let's say your bill is $6.67 and you give them $10.75. Watch their head go into total meltdown.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                From my understanding, Finns are the most depressed people in the world.
                Well, I guess that you deserve a cookie

Want some milk too ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

so enjoy the good times now while they are rolling
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Ow my balls!

Go away! Bating!
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Comment

quality vid
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
                            You see, before the social media and blogging phenomenon, the need of having to post your opinion was lower. So the amount of possible conflicting opinions was much much lower. Now? The environment pushes you to have an opinion, and because everyone has to have one and put it out there, it's just going to give us problems.
                            Before? Before internet even, if you wanted to voice an opinion, you perhaps had to write it and get it published by a paper, or a magazine, or TALK to someone, etc. So, you did not have to have an opinion, and if you did, you had to make an effort to have it voiced. As a result there was much less noise. Now it's all noise.
                            So.... it was better when people either a) didn't have opinions on matters or b) no one listened to their opinions, thereby only a small cadre of elite and rich people decided everything for everyone and didn't have to worry about the masses actually having something to say on the matter?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              Have you watched a cashier lately? Let's say your bill is $6.67 and you give them $10.75. Watch their head go into total meltdown.
                              There's a reason why some people are cashiers and some people are theoretical physicists.

And you can always enter into the till the exact amount tendered, even if there are faster buttons for the major notes.

Although it is a stupid system of money where it makes sense to pay 10.75 for a 6.67 bill. Quarters and dollar bills FTL.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X