Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are two hyperlink design crimes that warrant a death penalty for the designer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are two hyperlink design crimes that warrant a death penalty for the designer.

1. Links that open in a new window.
    If I want to open it in a new window, I will do so myself.
    2. Links you cannot open in a new window, because they're a javascript pop-up.
    I can understand the need for that with dependent windows like the smilies window on the right, but on the Civ5 site it's the community updates that work like that. I want to open ALL of them before reading one, damn it.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 20:33.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
      in Soviet Russia hyperlinks design YOU

Ha ha ha, oh wow! AAHZ, your replies are getting funnier every day.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

onodera, there are legitimate reasons to have the default behavior be a new window

e.g. on an online retail site, the link to see a bigger picture of the item I'm looking at should be a new window

Any link which leads to a URL from which I'm going to want to hit the back button in almost all circumstances should be a new window...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

onodera, there are legitimate reasons to have the default behavior be a new window

e.g. on an online retail site, the link to see a bigger picture of the item I'm looking at should be a new window

Any link which leads to a URL from which I'm going to want to hit the back button in almost all circumstances should be a new window...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

100% of your RDA of Repetition.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

KH: that's why we have the ctrl key.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                100% of your RDA of Repetition.
                This from the guy who posted two of the same birthday threads. Also, your birthday threads are horrible. If we must have them, let someone who is better at them do it.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                  KH: that's why we have the ctrl key.
                  The reason it's not done that way is because most people won't use the ctrl key when they are 'supposed' to, and if they did have to, they would complain about the designer of the website deserving the death penalty or somesuch.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

It should be done via AJAX popups, like the Lightbox image zoom so many sites use. never a new window. Not in 2010.

BTW, middle clicking usually works also (not just CTRL) to open links in a new tab.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't want to have to think to click ctrl or middle key. The design should facilitate the natural progression of clicks
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        It should be done via AJAX popups, like the Lightbox image zoom so many sites use. never a new window. Not in 2010.

BTW, middle clicking usually works also (not just CTRL) to open links in a new tab.
                        I ****ing hate the websites that open the pictures in the stupid little in-page windows. Partly it's just because the standard form does the stupid "I'm going to slowly expand vertically and then horizontally before you get to see the damn thing" and partly because half the time it means you can't ctrl-click everything you're interested and have them load in parallel.

Comment

I ****ing hate the websites that open the pictures in the stupid little in-page windows. Partly it's just because the standard form does the stupid "I'm going to slowly expand vertically and then horizontally before you get to see the damn thing" and partly because half the time it means you can't ctrl-click everything you're interested and have them load in parallel.
                          QFT
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

In a college introductory computer class, I made my website with those (lightbox popups?) and thoroughly impressed the students in the class
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not surprised, they were Temple University students...

Comment

Working...
                              X