Great comic books/graphic novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great comic books/graphic novels

One of the happy perks of my relationship with Galnemer is that she has introduced me to the wide world of comics.

Hard as it is to believe, being a gigantic hopeless nerd who has been posting on a internet forum dedicated to a computer historical strategy game for over a decade, I had never opened a single comic book until I met the missus. I wasn't particularly enthused at first by the standard superhero fare, but I had heard so many things about Watchmen, that I eventually bought the deluxe "Ultimate Watchmen" hardcover for the missus as a gift.

After reading it myself, my attitude changed dramatically. In one of our infrequent forays to our local comics shop ("The Laughing Ogre", although we (inevitably) call it "The Android's Dungeon"), I saw the collected editions of Y: The Last Man, and was intrigued by the concept. I bought the first collection, and voraciously read the entire run in relatively short order--an astounding book, in every sense.

I then looked for more Brian K. Vaughn, and discovered Ex Machina, which (if I understand correctly) will soon be concluding. So totally different, but no less fascinating.

Just a couple months ago, I finished reading the collected editions of Preacher, a book so audacious that I am stunned that it was ever published in this country. If the more fundamentally religious groups in America were aware of this title, I've no doubt that the publisher, artists, and authors would (at best) be chased by angry mobs to the ends of the Earth.

I am currently reading the collected Transmetropolitan, which is one of the most gripping, sad, and credible portraits of America's future I've seen in any medium. Not to mention the most stinging indictment of modern journalism in the history of mankind.

Any other suggestions for a relative novice? I prefer stories that have an ending, as opposed to ongoing, neverending sagas.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

I was going to suggest preacher but you got their first . The Sandman books by Neil Gaimen were a good read, although if that is remembered through rose tinted specs or not or something you will have to tell me.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Not rose tinted specs at all. I read The Sandman a couple years ago (the only comic books I ever read, apart from Watchmen) and it is excellent.

Comment

This will probably put me on somebody's shame list but I couldn't bring myself to finish Watchmen.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

*whistles nonchalantly and exits stage right*

Comment

A strip that badly needs re-issuing in its entirety- "Hugo Tate" by Nick Abadzis.

The latter half of the story was compiled as "O, America", but it misses out all the character development in the early stages.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I don't know if they're actually any good or not yet, but based on things I've heard I recently added We3 and Irredeemable to my Amazon wishlist. The Sandman spinoff Lucifer is also decent, though not nearly as good as the original.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'm a big fan of Warren Ellis. You should check out Planetary: it's not quite standard superhero stuff and reads more like a cross between the X-files and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He's got a webcomic called 'freak angels' which is pretty good, too.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I've read and liked:
                  Preacher
                  Transmetropolitan
                  The Sandman
                  Housewives at Play
                  100 Bullets

The last one is an absolutely badass story. Can't wait for HBO to make a badass series out of it. Absolutely recommended.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    This will probably put me on somebody's shame list but I couldn't bring myself to finish Watchmen.
                    The ending of Watchmen was actually its worst part. They essentially flipped all their readers the bird by foisting off complete nonsense:

Spoiler:
                    We find out that Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias has spent the past several years supervising a secret team of scientists and psychics and probably some other people I forgot, all in a hidden base in Antarctica. They've genetically engineered a gigantic, telepathic octopus-thing and built a working teleportation device. Rorschach and Nite Owl arrive too late to stop him from teleporting it into the middle of Manhattan. The shock of teleportation kills it, and its psychic death-cry kills everyone in the city. The theory is that the U.S. and U.S.S.R. will regard this as a sign of an alien invasion and band together to face it. Dr. Manhattan and Nite Owl actually think this is a pretty good plan, but Rorschach demands that the people of the world deserve to know the truth and Manhattan vaporizes him to keep him from blabbing. And they all sort of live happily ever after, IIRC.

No, I didn't make any of that up. I didn't see the movie, but I'm told they upgraded it to the more believable "fake Dr. Manhattan going crazy and killing a ton of people." Conversely, I did see the movie of V for Vendetta, and that made the comic seem almost brilliant by comparison.

Believe it or not, I wasn't all that offended by Preacher. I just read a few pages before I figured, "hey, gratuitous blasphemy + gratuitous nudity = profit." More power to them. Besides, the theology was so out there that it was hard to really be offended by it. Anyway, the story wasn't bad. I read a couple of volumes of my brother's, enjoyed it but didn't feel compelled to find out how it ended.

I did like Harbinger (unusually talky, character-centered superhero comic series from the early nineties), though I never got to read more than the first four episodes. I guess I'm not a comics person, really.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok: I didn't even get through half the book. I dunno, I just wasn't drawn into it.

I'm not much of a comics person either.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

There are many, many problems with the Watchmen movie; the changed ending is definitely not one. It is the only change the film made that was for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          There are many, many problems with the Watchmen movie; the changed ending is definitely not one. It is the only change the film made that was for the better.
                          Did they remove the silly bit where the World's Smartest Man uses a variant form of his own well-known former-superhero name as the password for vital, secret files, then has the computer say "ooh, you almost had it" when the incomplete name is entered? That would have been an improvement too, and I can't imagine they expected that to fly with a 2009 audience.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No, alas, that stayed. They also made all of the heroes much, much more violent, which was by far the film's biggest failing. Other than that, it was actually quite good. The performances, in particular, were excellent, with Rorschach and the Comedian being standouts, and the second Silk Specter being a horrendous exception. Nice cans, though.

Comment

I liked the film. I've never read the comic.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X