Any entrepreneurs here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any entrepreneurs here?

I mean real ones. Not hobbyists, but risk takers with a company and sort of depending on it as well?

Damn it I hate it. I'm short on time right now but I'll continue later on. Let's just say that no sleep for the small man. It's like this: you get to work A LOT and you get to pay A LOT to other people as well and be the last one to get paid, if there's anything left.

Anyone out there?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I've run a small non-profit organization for many years and basically built it into what it is today. (still small, but much bigger than when I found it)
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I have run two small companies. It's satisfying in many respects, but it takes up all of your time. Tough work. Much easier collecting a paycheck from the man.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i used to own a couple of ice cream vans before i moved to brasil. dans puts it very well.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Our situations are not fully comparable, Pekka, because my corporation is self-contained. I do the marketing (i.e., snagging clients) and the billable work; my wife handles all financials (invoicing, taxes, payroll, banking, etc). I work my butt off (typically 60-70 hrs/week), but at least I'm only responsible for myself (and family). It's been 5 years now and has progressed from being constantly nerve-wracking to now being solid and steady. I have decided against growing to the point of having full-timers on staff; I prefer working from home. When I snag larger projects, I subcontract the bits I can't handle personally.

I still live in fear of losing a major client without notice, but in truth, things are going pretty well. There are times when I long for the comfort of a steady corporate paycheck, but mostly for having lost the ability to slack off a bit after a major project. Can't do that now.

When you're on your own: "You only eat what you kill."
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I have a duplex and a house that I rent out.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
              I mean real ones. Not hobbyists, but risk takers with a company and sort of depending on it as well?

Damn it I hate it. I'm short on time right now but I'll continue later on. Let's just say that no sleep for the small man. It's like this: you get to work A LOT and you get to pay A LOT to other people as well and be the last one to get paid, if there's anything left.

Anyone out there?
              Contrary to what probably everyone else has told you: it isn't easy!!!
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I did it for about a year, but ended up spending more time hustling for work then doing work. When someone came along and offered me similar money with benefits, I quickly rejoined corporate America.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X