Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Tower

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/step...ful-mind-trio/

EXCLUSIVE: In a whopping deal coming together quickly, Stephen King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road are in discussions to make a screen trilogy and TV series out of King's epic novel series The Dark Tower. Akiva Goldsman will write the script, Ron Howard will direct it, and his Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce with Goldsman and King.

Universal is in talks to acquire a package that included the books, and the attachment of the team behind the Oscar-winning film A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code. Both Universal –where Imagine is based—and Warner Bros—where Goldsman’s Weed Road banner is housed—have been vying for the project.

The Dark Tower is King’s answer to JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, and the author will get his own screen trilogy. Like Tolkien, King's epic novel series is set in an otherworldly but familiar world, and involves a quest to save the world. The series spanned seven novels that involved Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers who exists in a world that has an Old West feel, but which is infused with magic. He is on a quest to find the Dark Tower, a structure that holds the key to the nexus of all universes. He encounters many allies and enemies along the way, as the world crumbles around him.

The book series was once developed by JJ Abrams and his Lost cohorts Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, but they never cracked it. Goldsman, who has become a prolific producer, was the catalyst for securing the rights from King, and he brought it to Howard and Grazer. It was not immediately evident how large the transaction was, but King has often optioned his works for little or no money upfront, and reportedly he bestowed the rights on Abrams for $19, a number which has significance in the novel series. King is working on an eighth novel, one that doesn't change the ending, but deals with characters and a storyline that falls midway in the series. CAA is working on the deal.

I read the first one. Boy, did it suck...
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Unfilmable.

SP
      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

That was also said about The Lord of the Rings, but yes, there are some tricky parts.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Mehhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Bloody awful book.

Likely be a worse movie.

It'll probably make millions.

*sigh*
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I prefer to call it by its correct name - Trellick Tower...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Given the history of Stephen King novels being made into excellent films, I don't see how anyone could possibly think this would turn out bad.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  Given the history of Stephen King novels being made into excellent films, I don't see how anyone could possibly think this would turn out bad.
                  Sarcasm ill becomes you.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    That was also said about The Lord of the Rings, but yes, there are some tricky parts.
                    Unfilmable by Ron Howard.

SP
                    I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                    X