Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Think That the Traffic is Bad in Your City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Think That the Traffic is Bad in Your City?

China’s Rapid Growth Often Leads to Problems Down the Road
    By MICHAEL WINES
    ZHANGJIAKOU, China — Chinese authorities proclaimed an end this week to an epic traffic jam that had brought some drivers here to a dead halt for up to five seemingly endless days. Which is heartening news, save two problems.

One is that the traffic jam has not ended. “That’s impossible,” an officer at the Zhangjiakou Highway Traffic Police Detachment said Friday. “All the lanes are filled up. If you get on the highway from Inner Mongolia to Hebei, you’ll be stuck for four or five days.”

The other is that it may not end until, oh, 2012.

The Great Chinese Gridlock of 2010 — up to 60 miles long, on a freeway linking Beijing and Inner Mongolia’s capital, Hohhot — has earned a welter of global publicity this month on tales of drivers marooned for days in immobile traffic lanes, and profiteering locals selling them freeze-dried noodles at usurious prices.

“I spent five days and five nights last week without moving,” a trucker who conceded only his last name, Li, said during a roadside chat outside this city on Thursday. “Apart from sleeping, you just eat. And you can only eat the instant noodles.” These cost about 45 cents, from a roadside hawker, plus $1.20, for the water needed to soften them.

The gridlock has been building for up to a year, the inevitable result of the difficulty of China’s construction crews in keeping up with China’s breakneck growth.

In this case, a government decision to satisfy surging demand for electric power by tapping Inner Mongolia’s coalfields has flooded local highways with thousands of coal trucks, overwhelming police officers’ best efforts to herd them.

The government is building two new rail lines on the trucks’ route, one for coal and the other for freight, as well as a second passenger-only line to relieve congestion. But those railroads will not open until at least 2012, and perhaps later.

And so huge traffic jams of the sort that plagued this road in August are all but guaranteed to continue. Indeed, logistics experts here say the miracle is that more such bottlenecks do not occur.

“China probably does a better job of executing on this kind of big infrastructure than almost any other country, anytime, anywhere,” said John Scales, in charge of transport issues for the World Bank’s Beijing office. But even in China, where niceties like environmental impact statements are dispensable, planning and executing huge construction projects takes years, not months.

The challenges facing Chinese builders are clear from the statistics, which by themselves are staggering.

This nation has been on a building binge for decades — and indeed, the highway from Beijing as it begins its way toward Mongolia would largely be familiar to any American interstate highway driver. In 2000, China boasted about 7,450 miles of such expressways. A decade later, it has 40,400 miles, not much smaller than the American system, which it plans to leapfrog by 2020.

Rail construction has moved almost as quickly: 2,500 miles of new track a year, the Communications Ministry says, along with upgrades on existing rail lines to improve trains’ speed and carrying capacity.

But the government’s construction plans have not dovetailed with its equally vast energy plans. Electricity output has more than doubled just since 2000, and coal-burning plants produce about two-thirds of that power, compared to one-half in the United States. Shaanxi Province, in Central China, once was the main coal source for power plants, but recent production and worker-safety problems there led the government to tap bigger coal deposits in Inner Mongolia, in China’s far north.

Therein lies a problem. Mongolian coal production has exploded — up 37 percent to 637 million tons last year alone, with an additional 15 percent increase expected this year. Much of the coal is supposed to move to seaports on China’s east coast, to be shipped to big cities in the south. But pig-in-python style, even China’s brand-new freeway system cannot handle the volume.

On an ordinary freeway, the 300-mile drive from Hohhot to Beijing would consume several hours. Here, China’s coal haulers say, the same trip generally requires up to three days’ travel, including weight checks and unloading coal. Recent traffic jams have pushed travel time to a week or more.

But even moving west to Beijing — a six-lane stretch that winds past popular Great Wall tourist sites — traffic jams can stall drivers for hours. On a recent evening, a passenger whiled away two hours on a deadened stretch 60 miles from Beijing, as thousands of coal trucks idled and vendors darted among the vehicles, selling apples and other treats.

“The more roads they build, the more congested it gets,” one trucker, 45-year-old Wang Haihe, volunteered. “And then they build some more roads.”

Li Bibo contributed research from Zhangjiakou, and Zhang Jing from Beijing.

In my times travelling the highway between Shanghai and Hangzhou, something like this was always a huge fear. Often I'd see in the opposite lane such a line of traffic. People wondering outside of their cars in the sweltering heat. Some sleeping on the side of the road.

Of course, this is the result of China's fragmented bureaucracy, where one department is completely unaware of what another is doing despite that their tasks often overlap. I suppose it's a testament to the unbridled power of China's rapid growth that it can often overcome an otherwise crippling inefficiency.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Urban Ranger
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He doesn't post here because he's been stuck in traffic for the last few years.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

They need a Planner. I could make myself available.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't think traffic is sooo bad in my city. I mean it's not exactly great, but it could be a lot worse.
          Blah

Comment

So what? I don't think the traffic jam along Calzada de Tlalpan in Mexico City has ever ended and that's been going on for decades
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I smell bull****.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Answering the thread title: Yes.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Also, breaking: China sucks. Who would have guessed.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                  X