Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy, crazy Finland

Finalist dies in heat at Sauna Championships in Finland

HELSINKI—A Russian man trying to win the Sauna World Championships died after collapsing with severe burns in the final stage of an event that required contestants to sit in a 230-degree (110 Celsius) room as water was tossed onto a searing stove, officials and witnesses said.

Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy, an amateur wrestler who was in his 60s, was pronounced dead late Saturday after he collapsed alongside reigning champion Timo Kaukonen of Finland roughly six minutes into the final round. Medical workers pulled both men out of the sauna in front of nearly 1,000 spectators in the southern Finnish town of Heinola.

Both were shaking and bleeding from what appeared to be severe burns, said Hakon Eikesdal, a photographer with the Norwegian daily Dagbladet.

Kaukonen, about 40, was hospitalized in stable condition Sunday, contest spokesman Ossi Arvela said.

The annual contest, which had over 130 participants from 15 countries, had been held since 1999. It will never be held again, Arvela said.

Half a litre (a pint) of water is added to the stove every 30 seconds and the last person to remain at the sauna is the winner.

There was no prize other than “some small things” Arvela said. He declined to provide details.

Arvela said Kaukonen — the defending world champion — had refused to leave the sauna despite getting sick.

Sauna bathing is a popular past-time in Finland, which has an estimated 1.6 million saunas for a population of 5 million. Temperatures are normally kept around 158 to 176 degrees (70-80 degrees Celsius).

“I know this is very hard to understand to people outside Finland who are not familiar with the sauna habit,” Arvela said. “It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that.”

Arvala said all rules in Saturday’s competition were followed and the temperatures and times were similar to those in previous years.

He said police are investigating the death.
    How stupid is this?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Suomithreadi!
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Comment

There must have been a malfunction. 110c in a sauna is hardly unheard of.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

When I read this, a joke about the skeleton of the 2005 hide-and-seek champion being finally found immediately came to mind.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

People dying during competitions is hardly a new thing. But they should have a better eye on the... saunoers. The guys skin was peeling of...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
              It's the humidity that got im in. Air is not a good heat conductor, but in this competition they pour on water every 30 s. He boiled alive.

Comment

Serves that Russian right for ****ing with Timo. The man is superhuman.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Nertz, that video doesn't show the whole thing. Anyway, if exposing yourself to conditions human beings don't normally survive is a sport, binge-drinking frat boys should get varsity letters. Er, the ones who don't have them already, I mean.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    It's not bad until we find out he'd been in there with no water for five days desperately trying to lick condensation off the walls.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Didn't Spamalot have a Finland song?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Too bad. 110 celsius isn't that bad though, as has been already stated. Of course it's hot, but it is not lethal. There was something wrong already, a pre-existing condition or going too far with the condition they had. But also they might want to have better control for these cases, some people just won't give up.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Gravestone:

Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy

1970 (about) - 2010

Got out of the kitchen

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                              It's the humidity that got im in. Air is not a good heat conductor, but in this competition they pour on water every 30 s. He boiled alive.
                              I HATE people who kill the nice dry sauna with steam
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X