No announcement yet.

Sticky: Poll: Damnit vs Dammit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dammit is the byproduct of the sort of phonetic spelling nonsense that should be banned in schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy View Post
      Dammit iz thu biepraadukt uv thu sort uv funnetik speleeng naansents that shood bee band in skuelz.
      Fiksd.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Damn it
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Just say mother****er and avoid the issue altogether.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy View Post
            Dammit is the byproduct of the sort of phonetic spelling nonsense that should be banned in schools.
            "Damn it" is a sentence. "Dammit" is an interjection used primarily in conversation. Minor phonetic adjustments are appropriate. Moreover, you can vary the spelling to convey distinctions in how it's spoken - "damnit" if slowly, "dammit" if quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
              "Damn it" is a sentence. "Dammit" is an interjection used primarily in conversation. Minor phonetic adjustments are appropriate. Moreover, you can vary the spelling to convey distinctions in how it's spoken - "damnit" if slowly, "dammit" if quickly.

You're over-thinking it Kuci.

From dictionary.com
              dammit (ˈdæmɪt) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— interj
              a contracted form of damn it

dammit
              representation of damn it as it usually is sounded, attested from 1908.
              It's apparently also a Blink 182 song. Doesn't Asher love Blink 182?
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

— interj

Comment

AS, that quote of yours says EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

Comment

AS, that quote of yours says EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.
                    Yeah but what does this part say?

as it usually is sounded
                    So Frozzy isn't wrong.

Also, Damn it with an 'n' is also an interjection.

To be clear, Damnit isn't a word. Damn it is the phrase.

Asher, note that. That's your answer. Damnit is not a word. Try to look it up online.

Comment

So Frozzy isn't wrong.

You're doing it again, AS. Not only wasn't I contesting the idea that it was a phonetic spelling, I specifically agreed with that claim. I was disagreeing that the phonetic spelling was, in his words, "nonsense".

Comment

Minor phonetic adjustments are appropriate.
                        Why? They aren't necessary in the slightest.

Comment

Because a silent n followed by a vowel is very rare in English.

Comment

When I pronounce damnit, I pronounce both the m and the n
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                              When I pronounce damnit, I pronounce both the m and the n

You're thinking damned it.

In English, damn is pronounced dam

Comment

In that case, then, write those words differently. I also pronounce the t in often, and I only stopped pronouncing the B in Dumb two years ago.

My problem is that I learned English through reading and not through talking, so there are many words which I know what they mean and how to use them, that I am not sure on how to pronounce.
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X