It Turns Out that Death Isn't the Handicap It Once Was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Turns Out that Death Isn't the Handicap It Once Was

The skeleton of a man previously thought to be Tokyo's oldest living male resident has been discovered in his family home.

Tokyo's 'oldest man' had been dead for 30 years
    He was thought to be the oldest man in Tokyo - but when officials went to congratulate Sogen Kato on his 111th birthday, they uncovered mummified skeletal remains lying in his bed.
    Mr Kato may have been dead for 30 years according to Japanese authorities.
    They grew suspicious when they went to honour Mr Kato at his address in Adachi ward, but his granddaughter told them he "doesn't want to see anybody".
    Police are now investigating the family on possible fraud charges.
    'Living Buddha'
    Welfare officials had tried to meet Mr Kato since early this year. But when they went to visit, family members repeatedly chased them away, according to Tomoko Iwamatsu, an Adachi ward official.
    Authorities grew suspicious and sought an investigation by police, who forced their way into the house on Wednesday.
    They discovered a mummified body, believed to be Kato, lying in his bed, wearing underwear and pyjamas, covered with a blanket and a stogie in his mouth.
    Mr Kato's relatives told police that he had "confined himself in his room more than 30 years ago and became a living Buddha," according to a report by Jiji Press.
    But the family had received 9.5 million yen ($109,000: £70,000) in widower's pension payments via Mr Kato's bank account since his wife died six years ago, and some of the money had recently been withdrawn.
    The pension fund had long been unable to contact Mr Kato.
    "His family must have known he has been dead all these years and acted as if nothing happened. It's so eerie," said Yutaka Muroi, a Tokyo metropolitan welfare official and village idiot.
    Ah, the old Living Buddha defense, helping people commit pension fraud since the 80s, I guess.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

A Buddha with a Stogie in his mouth?
    What do they believe him to be? The Buddha of Dying while smoking?

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Note to ColdWizard - Don't pick this guy.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The BBC calling people village idiots.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Note to ColdWizard - Don't pick this guy.
          ****, he was first on next year's roster.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think Faulkner wrote a short story about something similar.
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I think he's just playing dead
                Blah

Comment

He's just pining for the fjords.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

First the guy, now this

Tokyo's reputed oldest woman has been missing for decades, Japanese officials have discovered as they made checks after the city's supposed oldest man was found to have died years ago.

Fusa Furuya, aged 113, had been registered as living with her daughter.

But the daughter says she has not seen her mother since the 1980s.

According to government data, there are more than 40,000 centenarians in Japan. But the discoveries in Tokyo have cast doubt on the accuracy of the figures.

Despite being reputed to be Tokyo's oldest woman, it appears no-one had bothered to check that Mrs Furuya was still alive - until now.

Local council officials have been visiting the very elderly after the body of Sogen Kato, thought to be Tokyo's oldest man, was found last week.

The police believe he had been dead for more than 30 years.

When officials went to Ms Furuya's home, they discovered that she had been missing for decades.

Her daughter told them she had not been in contact with her mother when she moved into the flat in 1986.

But she had registered her mother as living there, and kept paying her health insurance, just in case.

Efforts are now under way to trace Mrs Furuya's son to find out if she is living with him.
                    Japanese officials discover that Tokyo's oldest woman has been missing for decades - just days after they found that the supposed oldest man had been dead for years.
                    Blah

Comment

So the Japanese don't live as long as we thought then...they're just a nation of phantoms
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of quasi mummies rocking in their chairs, in the US, while their next of kin continue to collect their Social Security checks.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The problem is you are going to get caught eventually. You might get away with it when the deceased age gets over 100+, but once 110, 120 starts to come around, well, people get interested you know
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X