Question to brits about FOI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to brits about FOI

Locally we have a discussion about how much time that are supposed to be used on a FOI. There is this site :

where it is stated :

As per The Freedom of Information (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004, the Council has to provide 18 hours of time (£25 per hour) to respond to a request free of charge. Above this the Council may issue a fees notice under Section 9 of the FOI Act to either:
    That I translate into that a FOI request are free for up to 18 hours after wich a fee may be paid. It doesn't state that a FOI demands 18 hours of work to respond.

Is there a brit out there that can verify ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Looks like it should be free to me.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Q: What are the cost limits for a Freedom of Information Act request?

Where the limit is not exceeded, the only charges that can be passed to you are those associated with providing the information, for example photocopying and postage. These are collectively known as disbursements.

Comment

The headache is about this :

“According to the rules,” says Jones, “you have to do 18 hours’ work on each one before you’re allowed to turn it down.”
        from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7017905.ece

sorry, i'm an idiot for not providing that.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well 18 hours relates to the £450 cap at £25 an hour. You have to state that providing this information would take longer than the 18 hours, then you can refuse the request.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen..._a_request.pdf page 6

Im just making all this up as I go along, with information from the FOI site. its interesting though

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
            Well 18 hours relates to the £450 cap at £25 an hour. You have to state that providing this information would take longer than the 18 hours, then you can refuse the request.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen..._a_request.pdf
            Well, that make some kind of sense, but that doesn't say that you have to spend 18 gours on every request. Putting up a service that can deliver the information and just refere to that should be enough to fullfill the FOI requrements ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That link is actually quite good - could have take me days to find on my own - poly and it's members is a friend

Steven Weinberg

Comment

yeah I dont see why not. This organizations gripe was that it was receiving a large amount of requests which would all require some work to respond to. If a malicious individual wanted to they could make ever more complex, and time consuming, requests.

I admit it seems a bit fishy to try to dodge FOI requests, but I can also understand how you could cause all number of problems for a small organization with a sustained FOI request campaign.

Comment

Sure it's probably possible to make a flodding of meaningless requests and that should be prevented hardly.

My local discussion was that a FOI demanded at least 18 pr request no matter what wich is a bit silly.

Thanks .

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I am more than happy to oblige

Comment

Why are you reading the website of the city of Milton Keynes? Why their legal statements? BlackCat, you're very strange...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                        Why are you reading the website of the city of Milton Keynes? Why their legal statements? BlackCat, you're very strange...
                        I'm innocent - it was other people that used that site to support their arguments.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                        X