No announcement yet.

Do you give beggars coin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Coin? Yeah, rolled-up coin in a sock.

Actually, I have been known to give a few pennies to some elderly homeless gentlemen on occasion, but usually not. People my age (i.e. lazy druggies) and foreigners (i.e. Gypsies) get nothing.

Comment

I don't make donating to beggars such a huge moral or intellectual concern. As DaShi said, I give randomly according to my mood.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          I usually say that I thought beggars weren't choosers.
          That has got to be one of the most morally repulsive phrase I have ever heard. Heck, sometimes someone will give me something he doesn't need anymore, tell me it's not perfect but better than nothing, and then add that beggars can't be choosers, and at that point I refuse the gift. Yes, a beggar can always choose. He can refuse.

Comment

Ben? Morally repulsive?

Say it isn't so...
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

This morning I gave an undesirable (beggars are included in this category) my recently canceled credit card. I'm sure he's gleefully headed to a supermarket now. If you can't give them money, give them hope

Comment

That's a good one Wiggy.

I always look for the amusement angle for these encounters.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Wiglaf

Comment

The other option is to report your card stolen and then hand it to an undesirable. (Works best for 20-something crackwhores who will unwittingly lead police to their larger drug rings)

Comment

Yeah except you then have to replace your card.

It would be better to give them some other person's card and let them report it stolen.

Comment

It's definitely not my routine, even though the cops tend to appreciate the sacrifice. But whenever you just need to cancel a card, or one expires, definitely give it to an undesirable. Preferably a busker. It's a Metro station, not American Idol

Comment

There was one beggar in the upscale Michigan Ave area in Chicago. He made 75K a year begging and commuted in from a nice home in the suburbs.

I rarely give but do occasionally on a whim or to reward extreme creativity or hustle.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Define "hustle".

Anyone that puts anything on your car windshield while stopped at a light should be executed in a public square.

Comment

AGREED.

I'm thinking more of the guys that will help you hawk cabs when there are long lines and few cabs. Or play their instruments without overtly begging. (and can actually play said instrument)
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would reach into my pocket, pull out a buck and give it to them, but I detest manual labor.
                                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
                                X