Clear All

• Police Officer Ambushes, Tases Trespasser As A Test

Sports

Black bear chased off by police returns to Hillside home
    Anchorage police officer repels black bear with Taser

Anchorage Daily News

Published: July 23rd, 2010 09:44 AM
    Last Modified: July 23rd, 2010 09:45 AM

A problem bear that has been frequenting Hillside homes and yards in recent weeks was subjected to shock therapy from police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker's Taser on Thursday morning.

After the small black bear got into a fish fryer on the porch, Parker decided to try a novel approach to deconditioning the animal to people, he said. He armed himself with a backup firearm and a personal Taser C2, which launches a 30-second burst of 100,000 volts, Parker said.

"I thought, 'Here is a wonderful opportunity to give this a test,' " Parker said. He fired out the window and hit the bear in the shoulder from about 15 feet, he said.

"The bear promptly went inverted, with feet in the air, growling and crying at the same time, flailing with his feet," Parker said. "He actually rolled off the porch."

When it was done, the bear sat up, shook his head, seemingly to regain his wits, and then bolted "faster than any bear I've ever seen," he said.

"Hopefully, he's associating electrification with getting into mischief in people's homes," Parker said.

"I thought, 'Here is a wonderful opportunity to give this a test,' "
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I cant help but feel that keeping a fish fryer on your porch in bear country is just asking for trouble.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

As long as it wasn't a young bear, old bear or a bear of color, no one here will have a problem with it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What if it was a religious bear or a right/left-wing bear?

Comment

Naturally, that's preferred.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This could have turned ugly.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                As long as it wasn't a young bear, old bear or a bear of color, no one here will have a problem with it.
                I cannot bear such discrimination.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

In New Zealand, beer and bear are homophones.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

In New Zealand everything is a homo- something.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                      I cant help but feel that keeping a fish fryer on your porch in bear country is just asking for trouble.
                      Hillside is inside the city.

Comment

Working...
                      X