American sex offender registries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American sex offender registries

WFTP, suckas. This is a little experiment tied in to the deranged-Israeli-rape-law threadi.

EDIT: The reason I ask is that, as a practical matter, these registries have at least two controversial effects. The first is that sex offenders on the list are barred from living or working near so many places that, at least in some cities, the registries make them permanently homeless. The second is that the lists generally don't distinguish between consensual sex a 21-year-old has with his 17-year-old girlfriend and the sadistic rape and murder of a dozen preteen children, which, it could be argued, decreases their utility just a bit.
    Absolutely, no changes, and I'm American
    12.00%
    No changes, I am not American
    0.00%
    There need to be some changes made, I'm American
    36.00%
    There need to be some changes made, I'm not American
    4.00%
    The whole concept is just wrong, I'm American
    16.00%
    It's all wrong, I'm not American
    12.00%
    I'm ambivalent, or have no opinion, and American
    4.00%
    Ambivalent/no opinion, not American
    12.00%
    What I do personally is between me and the banana
    4.00%
    Last edited by Elok; July 22, 2010, 07:26.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

The second is that the lists generally don't distinguish between consensual sex a 21-year-old has with his 17-year-old girlfriend and the sadistic rape and murder of a dozen preteen children, which, it could be argued, decreases their utility just a bit.
    In our community, the list actually provides the information on what they were convicted of.

And as far as your first point, I don't really care if sex offenders have a harder time finding a place to live.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Then vote!
      1011 1100

Comment

first point - does not need to change, second point - needs to change, unless like in Ming's community this is already the case.

This type of a register needs to be part of any modern society, cheap and effective with relatively low collateral damage .
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

While I started this thread primarily for the poll, not to argue...if you're going to deny the pervs a chance to legally have a home or work to support themselves, you're creating another, albeit lesser, social problem in an attempt to solve one. You might say it's more to the point to simply execute them (cue people saying they'd have no problem with that). I'm also not certain that it actually makes the kids any safer.
          1011 1100

Comment

information on any problem is good, it is up to the individual people or communities to decide how to deal with it, withdrawing it is just ignorance, and that cannot be part of any solution.

Longer term effects of such lists will be shown, in whatever way - pervs organizing into communities themselves, some other side-effects, but in any case better than not knowing who is your neighbour.

Kids safety will be better, it is only that there is no reliable way to measure it, but comparing any situation where you are totally not aware of the danger, and aware of it even though without full solution, the awareness itself is bound to bring benefits.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Well it isn't just information. They are prevented from living x yards of certain buildings. That sometimes forces these people into ghettos and increases the chances of recidivism. If you treat people like criminals, guess what, they won't feel the need to fix their lives.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                WFTP, suckas. This is a little experiment tied in to the deranged-Israeli-rape-law threadi.

EDIT: The reason I ask is that, as a practical matter, these registries have at least two controversial effects. The first is that sex offenders on the list are barred from living or working near so many places that, at least in some cities, the registries make them permanently homeless. The second is that the lists generally don't distinguish between consensual sex a 21-year-old has with his 17-year-old girlfriend and the sadistic rape and murder of a dozen preteen children, which, it could be argued, decreases their utility just a bit.
                While I don't agree with your analogy, I voted "There need to be some changes made, I'm American".
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Age of consent varies by state, Elok, and there are usually laws accounting for the number of years separating the involved parties.

For example, PA:
                  § 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.

Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.
                  Even states with consent of 18 make allowances for the age of the 'perpetrator':
                  This is Delaware which has an 18 age of consent:
                  § 770. Rape in the fourth degree; class C felony. (a) A person is guilty of rape in the fourth degree when the person:...2) Intentionally engages in sexual intercourse with another person, and the victim has not yet reached that victim's eighteenth birthday, and the person is 30 years of age or older, except that such intercourse shall not be unlawful if the victim and person are married at the time of such intercourse.
                  Both those laws sound reasonable and they seem typical of most states.

I vote no changes.

In fact, just skimming through the states, it looks like average age of consent is 16 or 17 and that every state allows for those under the age of consent to have sexual relations with men who are no older than 5 years older than her.

So, generally, in most states, a 15 year old can have sex with an 18 year old, no problem, but can not have sex with a 20 year old... in states with 16 as age of consent, a 16 year old can have sex with a 45 year old, no problem, but a 15 year old can not have sex with anyone older than 20... in states like Delaware, until she's 18, she can not if and only if he's older than 30, etc.

Anyone not finding this stuff reasonable?

What state is this in, Elok?

don't distinguish between consensual sex a 21-year-old has with his 17-year-old girlfriend
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 23, 2010, 01:26.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Looks like Virginia is the only state that I saw that has an 18 age of consent and no allowance for the age of the perpetrator (ie- no rule about under 30 is fine or no more than 5 years older, etc.)

In VA, for an 18 year old to have sex with a 17 year old IS a crime. However, it is a Misdemeanor.

That might need some changes in the law but that has to do more with VA state law than any sex offender registry.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So? Any thoughts? Anyone want to explain to me what is so unfair about the current situation? I'm clearly in the minority judging by that poll.

Comment

Other things get roped into it as well. Like I hear that you can get on the list for public urination or other types of public exposure.

Mainly, I agree with Imran. If they've served their time they deserve a chance to try and put their life back together. If they are at a strong risk of reoffending then they should just stay in jail.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Is this more about punishing people after they've served their time or about what Elok made it seem the issue was in his second concern?

The second is that the lists generally don't distinguish between consensual sex a 21-year-old has with his 17-year-old girlfriend and the sadistic rape and murder of a dozen preteen children, which, it could be argued, decreases their utility just a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            Looks like Virginia is the only state that I saw that has an 18 age of consent and no allowance for the age of the perpetrator (ie- no rule about under 30 is fine or no more than 5 years older, etc.)

In VA, for an 18 year old to have sex with a 17 year old IS a crime. However, it is a Misdemeanor.

That might need some changes in the law but that has to do more with VA state law than any sex offender registry.
                            Bull****, pretty sure texas is stricter and you only looked up virginia because you think it a clever troll, which it's not, by the way. But it's not like the age of consent laws are enforced here anyway.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Actually Texas has a 3 year older is ok rule, so 17 years olds having sex with 16 year olds is not illegal in Texas (17 is Age of Consent in Texas).

Try again.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X