• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soup For You!

Soup shop that inspired 'Seinfeld' reopens in NYC

Associated Press

Posted on July 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — The bisque is back.

The soup stand that inspired the Soup Nazi episode on "Seinfeld" reopened in New York City on Tuesday, six years after its famously brusque owner shut it down and licensed his recipes to a franchising company.

More than 100 people were waiting in line for the noon reopening of the tiny storefront where soup chef Al Yeganeh (yah-GAH'-nah) once ladled broth and imposed discipline.

Yeganeh no longer owns or operates the store, but company officials say he remains deeply involved in the business.

He even has a webcam that allows him to check in on the place at any time.

The new operators say customers won't have to worry about being banished if they don't place orders promptly.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Yeganeh? What is he? Iranian?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Soup Nazi forever!
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, he's Iranian.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Even Jerry Seinfeld, the star of the "Seinfeld" TV series, has come by, but only on a weekend when the shop was run by assistants while Yeganeh rested at home. "He's afraid to show his face to me," Yeganeh, clearly agitated, said. "He did a terrible thing calling me a 'Soup Nazi'."
          Wow

later on in that article...

A month later, Yeganeh called me at home, asking me to watch his brother being interviewed on one of the news programs. I turned on the TV and saw a man dressed in a smart suit and tie, with a grin locked on his face, showing his muffin bakery located somewhere in New York. He called himself "Paul Fox" and said he was a lot kinder and gentler than his brother.

Then black and white photographs of the brothers in their youth appeared on the screen and the reporter's voice said: "Paul says he and his famous brother Al are Italians who immigrated from Rome in 1974."

I almost fell off the couch.
          Guess his brother wanted to lie about their background... a lot of Middle Eastern Americans do this.

Also, from wiki, more about Seinfeld vs. Soup Nazi:

Before the episode was written, much of the cast of Seinfeld (including Wayne Knight) had been to Soup Kitchen International. Following "The Soup Nazi" episode's airing on TV, one day, during production of the eighth season of Seinfeld, Seinfeld and several writers went to Yeganeh's soup stand for lunch. Upon recognizing Seinfeld, Yeganeh launched into a profanity-laced rant about how "The Soup Nazi" episode had "ruined his life," and he demanded an apology. Seinfeld gave what show writer Spike Feresten described as "the most sarcastic, insincere apology" he'd ever heard. Yeganeh bellowed "No soup for you!" and ejected Seinfeld and his friends from the restaurant.[5]
          Wow. Looks like this guy isn't too fond of Seinfeld. And Jerry Seinfeld is a dick, though I think I've heard he has a reputation for being an *******.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Thread is useless without address
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I may even consider making a trip out of lower Manhattan (but not to any other borough) for this...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                I may even consider making a trip out of lower Manhattan (but not to any other borough) for this...
                You're such a douche, KH. Not to any other borough...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Thread is useless without address
                  Look it up, you brain dead dickhead.
                  259-A West 55th Street, near 8th Avenue, in Manhattan, New York City

Comment

Why would I do that? It was easier to ask you.

55th and 8. Columbus Circle or 50th st then. Can be there in 15 minutes on the ACE trains
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Like I'm in the neighborhood. It's called "lazy".

Comment

When you don't know something, ask someone more knowledgeable than you.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

or you can just make something up like Ben does.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
                            When you don't know something, ask someone more knowledgeable than you.
                            Yeah but all Sloww did was post an article. He had to get the address by googling same as KH could have done...

not to mention the fact that Sloww is in Texas and KH is IN NYC! Hell, he's 15 minutes away from the place!

Comment

You're assuming KH knows how to google.
                              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                              X