X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this sporting?

Tour de France - Contador claims yellow from Schleck
    Eurosport - Mon, 19 Jul 16:21:00 2010

Alberto Contador snatched the yellow jersey away from Andy Schleck in dramatic circumstances as Thomas Voeckler won stage 15 of the Tour de France in Bagneres-de-Luchon.

The Saxo Bank rider from Luxembourg saw his chain come off on the final climb of the day, the hors category Port de Bales with a summit 21km from the finish.

That cost the 27-year-old around 30 seconds and he lost further time on the long, rapid descent to the finish, eventually finishing 39 seconds behind the defending champion.

That gives the Spaniard an eight second advantage heading into Tuesday's big showdown into Pau although he was booed on the podium for breaking protocol and attacking a rival after a mechanical problem.

French champion Voeckler was part of a 10-man breakaway that formed midway through the 187.5km stage from Pamiers and he dropped his fellow escapees on the 19.3km climb of the Port de Bales.

After the peloton had thwarted a succession of early escape attempts the 10 men were quickly allowed to open up a large gap as they crossed a pair of category two climbs in quick succession, the Col de Portet-d'Aspet and the Col des Ares.

Their advantage was 11 minutes as they hit the foot of the Port de Bales where Schleck's Saxo Bank team set a rapid pace which whittled down the peloton to an elite group.

Schleck, who had promised to stop playing cat and mouse after Sunday's opening stage in the Pyrenees, had just made his second attack on the ascent to the 1755m summit when he suffered his mechanical problem.

Contador reacted immediately and burst clear with Russia's Denis Menchov and Spain's Samuel Sanchez, the two riders most likely to pose a threat to the podium places, accompanying him.

Contador followed his compatriot Sanchez, regarded as one of the best descenders in the business, down the hill as Schleck fought to regain the lost ground.

As Voeckler crossed the line to claim France's fifth stage win of this year's race, the destiny of the maillot jaune was still in question.

Ballan outsprinted Perez for second place, one minute and 20 seconds behind the leader, as Contador, Sanchez and Menchov caught five more members of the original escape to cross the line 2:50 behind Voeckler.

Schleck, whose 31 second lead at the start of the stage already appeared too slim ahead of the final 52km individual time trial to Pauillac which Contador is likely to dominate, came over the line with Jurgen Van Den Broeck and Alexandre Vinokourov 3:29 behind.

All the top riders are together-- The only people ahead are irrelevant to the overala title. Schleck the overall leader launches an attack on the last hill but then his chain inexplicably pops off. The others see this and immediately counterattack. Once the chain is fixed Schlek rides amazing but cannot make up the gap to the other contenders.

Some would say "fair game" but the Tour has had a bit of tradition of playing fair (well sorta considering how much doping there is --- err I mean was LOL)). In Lance's reign there were a number of instances where lance waited for a contender or they waited for him so the contest would be more determined by riding and not by taking advantage of a mechanical or fan interference or whatnot. I liked the image of riders waiting for the fallen one-- The message was that they were willing to compete as riders in a true contest.

Has that spirit been lost?

In any event kudos to Andy Shleck... To have kept pace alone with a small pack of the top contenders is impressive. he has looked strong but now he trails and he knows he needs a lead coming out of the mountains if he has any hope to take the tour
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

If we take Contador at his word -- that he wasn't aware of the mechanical difficulty -- it's hard to criticize him too much. As far as I know (not well, admittedly), he is not known to take liberties with sportsmanship.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So do you think his team will sit by the side of the road to allow Shrek to make up the difference in the next stage?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        If we take Contador at his word -- that he wasn't aware of the mechanical difficulty -- it's hard to criticize him too much. As far as I know (not well, admittedly), he is not known to take liberties with sportsmanship.
        The only problem I have with that statement is that Shleck was 20-25 feet ahead of Contador and accelerating when his chain popped-- all the other contenders were behind Schleck when he started slowing markedly (as happens when NOT pedalling at all up a hill) . Contador went past within a couple of feet of Schleck (maybe he didn't notice the bright yellow jersey LOL)

All the other contenders are pretty much getting a free pass on this since Contador attacked and no expected to see them all sit up and lose time to him. But Contador? If he said its racing etc and its a tough thing, I could respect that stance I guess. Instead he is pretty much saying he didn't know it was a mechanical and then it was "too late". On the cycling sites, pretty much no one that saw the video believes his statement.

This is the case despite the fact that he has been known to be sportsmanlike in the past
        Last edited by Flubber; July 19, 2010, 15:41.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
          So do you think his team will sit by the side of the road to allow Shrek to make up the difference in the next stage?
          No and its a useless gesture anyway especially if given at the beginning of a stage.

Schlek now needs to attack with a vengence and take back real time from Contador. Conventional wisdom is Contador wins if he is within a minute of Schlek heading into the time trial.

Schlek was pissed off after this stage so with 4 big climbs tomorrow I will be interested to see if and when he attacks Contador. Poetic justice would see Contador get a puncture on the last climb of the day

Comment

Admittedly, I have not seen the video.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, Schleck attacked and so Contador could probably be excused for going past, he was likely panicking and it's feasible that the problem didn't register.

What he should have done is, once he knew about it, sat up on the descent and let Schleck catch him back up.

Tommorow should be fascinating.

Comment

No way Schleck is going to attack tomorrow. After the Tourmalet it's all down hill. Thursday, when the finish line is at the top of the Tourmalet, is the day he will attack. But even when he regains the yellow shirt on Thursday (which I seriously doubt) he will lose it again Saturday in the time trial.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij View Post
                  No way Schleck is going to attack tomorrow. After the Tourmalet it's all down hill. .
                  You may be right. The long downhill and flats favors a pack trying to catch a lone attacker. The only counter to that is the fact there are 4 decent size hills on this stage so Schleck (knowing Contador is a better time trial guy) may feel the need to give it a go. Plus with a rest day on Wednesday, Schleck may feel he should put in the effort.

Everyone agrees that Contador will out-do Schleck in the time trial. Thats what makes yesterday so big. Those 30 seconds could be big, particularly if Schleck gains a minute back at some point in the next two stages
                  so that he has a small lead going into the time trial

Comment

They both came in with the peloton anyway, so no change today. I was watching it on France 2, and the 'color commentator' (over here they're called expert analysts, which is even more of a joke) sounded like he'd inhaled the entire Gauloises factory before the race began. I really hope he's not an ex-pro. Laurent Jalabert was great though.

Comment

Is this a sporting topic?

Do we have a sports forum?
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sure we have, but there we don't discuss sport, only anerican football and icehockey
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          Is this a sporting topic?

Do we have a sports forum?

I was curious as to how a broader cross section of folks would feel than those that go in the Sports- sub-forum.

Did this thread in some way impinge on your enjoyment of the forums. Did it push something, last commented on 3 days ago, to the second page ??

Comment

Just breaking balls Flubber.

I don't really care but I do think it says something about the Sports Forum.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                              Just breaking balls Flubber.

I don't really care but I do think it says something about the Sports Forum.

The only thing it says to me that this place generally is very slow these days and the sub-forums are even slower (although we just had a flurry in the hockey thread-- I engaged Ben)

Comment

Working...
                              X