What's the deal with temperatures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with temperatures?

So I was looking at the daily average highs in July of Philadelphia compared to Atlanta and found that they were fairly close considering the large distance between the two cities (Philadelphia: 87; Atlanta: 89).

Why is that? Why is Philadelphia, though so much more north than Atlanta, practically as hot as the southern city?

I also checked out New York (average high 83), Toronto (80), Raleigh (88), Richmond (87-88), for some more perspective, trying to not include coastal cities although NY is coastal.

Why is it that temperatures remain in the same range for hundreds of miles then drop dramatically once you get to New York's latitude?

I know other factors like proximity to the ocean, elevation, etc. can affect temperature but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Philly to Toronto is a shorter distance than Philly to Atlanta yet the temperature drops significantly.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Global warming man...
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Well these are historical average highs... I don't know how far back they go, but I'm sure before global warming... and it wouldn't explain why the big drop off once you get north of Philly but the lack of much change from Philly to Atlanta.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Why can't Americans use Celsius? At 100 water boils at 0 water freezes its easy to learn and remember.

Anything below 0 is freezing, above 40 is unbearably hot. At 20 you feel good. Why don't you get with the program?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Daylight hours. More daylight hours balances out the less intense sun. Change to another month when daylight hours are less and you will see some significant temperature differences.

Comment

Fine.

Average highs month of July going from South to North:

Atlanta: 89F 31.6C
            Raleigh: 88F 31.1C
            Richmond: 87F 30.5C
            Philly: 87F 30.5C
            NY: 83F 28.3C
            Toronto: 80F 26.6C

Celsius is stupid with the decimals needed to represent small changes in temperature as opposed to whole units in F.

But as you can see, temps are the same for hundreds of miles til you get to NY where it drops dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
              Daylight hours. More daylight hours balances out the less intense sun. Change to another month when daylight hours are less and you will see some significant temperature differences.
              Yes, Atlanta is 'flatter' than Philly and New York and Philly gets almost as cold as NY in the winter (great! As cold as NY in the winter but as hot as ATL in the summer! Lovely city this is! )

But it doesn't explain the fact that over the 650 miles from Atlanta to Philly, the average high drops only 2 degrees but in the 100 miles from Philly to NY, it drops 4 degrees. Coastal effect? But still that's pretty consistent temps over 650 miles.

Comment

The heat bubble generated by the city is probably contributing.

Comment

Working...
                X