X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilarious Headline

From Reuters, last weekend:

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters

Oregon (Reuters) - Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix edged out Tyson Gay in the former world champion's hotly-anticipated return to the 200 meters at the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting on Saturday.

Gay, who has been battling a nagging hamstring problem for seven weeks, ran his first 200 of the year in 19.76 seconds to finish just shy of Dix, who took control coming off the bend and stayed in front to win in 19.72.

"It wasn't bad, but I was a little fatigued toward the end," Gay said. "I tried to stay relaxed and bring it home, but it wasn't enough."

Dix, who won the 100 meters and placed second at the U.S. nationals last weekend, said his race experience had helped, "but I'm a little beat up, too."

"I was a little sloppy out of the blocks, but I was able to hold on," he added. "Tyson gave me great competition."
    (snipped for brevity)
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

See when it's that obvious, you know the writer or editor was chuckling to himself. These guys definitely pay attention to their headlines. Notice all the lame puns that are used in headlines, especially in sports headlines or the headlines of casual metro papers like the NY Post, Philly Daily News, or the Metro.

This is another good one:

SEOUL, South Korea -- They came from all over the world, poles in hand, and feet ready to inch more than half a mile across a high wire strung over the Han River in a spine-tingling battle of balance, speed and high anxiety.

"Skywalkers in Korea Cross Han Solo"
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's not just the headline either, that article is chock a block full of ready-to-go euphemisms.

Comment

There's a famous journalism class example from a small-town paper, about a woman from the town of Fertile, Michigan, whose car was run over by a train in the neighboring town of Climax, MI...

"Fertile Woman Dies in Climax"

I've never been able to confirm if it's real or not.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            There's a famous journalism class example from a small-town paper, about a woman from the town of Fertile, Michigan, whose car was run over by a train in the neighboring town of Climax, MI...

"Fertile Woman Dies in Climax"

I've never been able to confirm if it's real or not.

While looking it up to see if indeed it was real or not... many of the references say it's two towns in Minnesota
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

the sun ran a front page stub 'chris huhne uses tax money to service old boiler' after it was revealed he had left his wife for a lesbian 15 years his junior. the article was junk however
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X