Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Face of Tomorrow (what future humans will look like)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face of Tomorrow (what future humans will look like)

I found this after some Heraclitus-inspired research... (link below of a website that showcases composite images to predict what future human populations in various cities would look like)

Cool concept but what really struck out to me was the fact that everybody looks basically the same. I suppose composites by being the mean of a population sort of harken to the most basic human 'racial' model and well, by throwing in Black and Asian Londoners for example into the English stock you would get more of a human average. But it's still striking how same everyone looks. Is it just me or does everyone look like Arabs and Latinos?

For example, try to match some of the following male composites with their cities:
    The cities are:
    Sydney
    London
    Florence
    Amsterdam
    Cologne
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Damascus
    Lisbon
    Rio de Janeiro
    Buenos Aires

Spoiler:
    Damascus

Spoiler:
    Sydney

Spoiler:
    Nicosia, Cyprus

Spoiler:
    Rio de Janeiro

Spoiler:
    London

Spoiler:
    Buenos Aires

Spoiler:
    Amsterdam

Spoiler:
    Lisbon

Spoiler:
    Florence

Spoiler:
    Cologne

The website has more cities as well as female composites and shows the people that were combined into the composites.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Oh and don't worry. Asians will still look Asian

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

After comparing the composites and individuals in Amsterdam, I can only conclude that interbreeding is a good thing for these people
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid View Post
        After comparing the composites and individuals in Amsterdam, I can only conclude that interbreeding is a good thing for these people
        Yeah but for whatever reason, the composites look 'attractive' even though the people made up from them are not. Look at Istanbul. Everyone of those men is ugly as **** (I mean surprisingly ugly) but the composite miraculously looks normal.

Comment

Yeah, continued miscegenation would cause human skin tone to approach the median over time, ie we'll look like Arabs and Latinos. Did that actually surprise you?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Yeah, continued miscegenation would cause human skin tone to approach the median over time, ie we'll look like Arabs and Latinos. Did that actually surprise you?
            I already said of course you would get more of a human average, but it's still striking regardless.

And it's not just skin-tone. Facial features as well. The Amsterdam and Cologne examples are hardly Dutch and German features. They look indistinguishable from the Mediterranean 'stock'.

Comment

Not really. I pegged the London, Cologne and Amsterdam images by skin tone alone. Like many aspies, I'm face-blind, so I'm probably not the best judge of features, but there are some differences.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

the thing that strikes me most living in rio de janeiro today is the sheer variety of colours, hues and features, not that everyone looks the same. and, this is after decades and centuries of mixing.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                  the thing that strikes me most living in rio de janeiro today is the sheer variety of colours, hues and features, not that everyone looks the same. and, this is after decades and centuries of mixing.
                  They have several composites from different parts of Sao Paulo, but not from Rio...

From Paulista Avenue:

From Santo Amaro:

Clearly, there was more of an African influence in the Santo Amaro.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Why should the mixture of the population of Amsterdam or Cologne be so Arab/Spanish looking if a bit paler and not something else entirely? More likely, there would be various people still reminiscent of the vast continuum of human skintones and features. I would think the best representation would be if Amsterdam's composite was Mixed Human Type 1 and Cologne's was Mixed Human Type 2 that looked much different, not looking virtually the same as Lisbon or Buenos Aires.

(By the way, as an aside, it's interesting how the Santo Amaro composite looks obviously Black to our sensibilities but it's objectively not all that different from any of the others. Interesting how very slight visual cues allow us to instantly differentiate races)

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    And it's not just skin-tone. Facial features as well. The Amsterdam and Cologne examples are hardly Dutch and German features. They look indistinguishable from the Mediterranean 'stock'.
                    I disagree. There's no way I can prove it, but the Cologne face looks distinctly German to me. London too looks very English still.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                      I disagree. There's no way I can prove it, but the Cologne face looks distinctly German to me. London too looks very English still.
                      That might have something to do with what I just said... it's interesting how the subtlest cues allow us to differentiate people. Objectively, there is very little difference in any of those composites, especially considering the vast differences within the people whom the composites are made up of and the differences between your typical Londoner or Damascene. The net result is something that if we were to do things like measure the ratio of the length and width of the face, cheekbone structure, the build of the nose, etc. we'd might just find very little variation between the Cologne and Damascus composites, but something intuitively to some of us makes us be able to differentiate.

As an American who has no contact with Germans or Dutch or English, I'm not acquianted enough perhaps to pick up on those cues. To me, the Cologne composite looks like he could be the Damascus composite's brother.

Comment

Actually, the Argentine's brother:

I opened them up in separate windows and switched from one to the other and they have the exact same eyes, nose, everything. The only thing is the Cologne picture is trending a little downwards in the angle of the picture so it has a little effect where they don't match up perfectly and I think it's why the Cologne's eyes look a little lower in the face compared to the Buenos Aires.

If you do the same thing opening up the two pictures and switching back and forth between them, the orientation of the Buenos Aires and Damascus are the same and it's interesting how they are literally the same in features. Switching between them, it's like only the background changes. The nose, eyebrows, cheeks, everything is unchanged.
                        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 6, 2010, 09:16.

Comment

Sydney
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They have several composites from different parts of Sao Paulo, but not from Rio...
                            well são paulo is 'whiter' than rio (and more asian too, lots of italian and japanese immigrants went there)...

but my point is that while people assume that humanity will become monotone and have similar features because of racial mixing, i think the experience of brasil suggests that this may well not be the case.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Yeah but for whatever reason, the composites look 'attractive' even though the people made up from them are not. Look at Istanbul. Everyone of those men is ugly as **** (I mean surprisingly ugly) but the composite miraculously looks normal.
                              Not really that suprising. The average face looks normal? Gee who would have thought! Lots of people would esentially look ok, if it weren't for a detail or two that makes them fugly, average people out and since no one's flaws are not exactly like everyone elses and they get drowned out and you get ok looking people.
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; July 6, 2010, 09:46.
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                              X