No announcement yet.

breaking: the washington post doesn't understand basic economics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm fairly confident that the post orginator clearly understands the underlying motive for the 'punative' actions against BP. Moreover I believe he was deriding WAPO for:

a) Intellectual dishonesty
    b) Their stupidity
    c) Their arrogance in thinking others stupid enough to fall for their explanation
    d) all of the above
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      The point anyway which I made originally is Kuci's saying of "THE WASHINGTON POST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND BASIC ECONOMICS!" is silly because those who would be in favor of banning BP probably don't give a **** about whether it has any effect on BP. They want to do it out of 'principle', an understanding of economics is irrelevant.
      If the Washington Post runs an article above the fold on the front page essentially advocating that the federal government cut off business with BP for punitive reasons, and the editorial staff actually knows that this will be an inconsequential, symbolic gesture, don't they have some kind of basic journalistic obligation to mention that somewhere in the article?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        If the Washington Post runs an article above the fold on the front page essentially advocating that the federal government cut off business with BP for punitive reasons, and the editorial staff actually knows that this will be an inconsequential, symbolic gesture, don't they have some kind of basic journalistic obligation to mention that somewhere in the article?
        journalistic obligations
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Occam's razor suggests that R. Jeffrey Smith and his editor are both idiots.

Comment

I find that's usually the explanation that sticks when people say **** that doesn't make any sense....
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
              Occam's razor suggests that R. Jeffrey Smith and his editor are both idiots.
              Umm... no, apparently, R. Jeffrey Smith is an intelligent man. The simplest explanation isn't that he's an idiot. How many idiots have degrees from Duke and Columbia and have won a Pulitzer Prize?

R. Jeffrey Smith is a reporter at the Washington Post and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting in 2006.
              Smith has an B.A. in Political Science and Public Policy Studies from Duke University and a M.S. in Journalism from Columbia University. He was journalist-in-residence at the School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University in 2002. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He is a ****ing political science and journalism major. That confirms it

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                  He is a ****ing political science and journalism major. That confirms it
                  The sad thing is that's probably the response Kuci and KH will have. Anyone who studied a discipline not grounded in mathematical rigor is inferior!

Comment

Listen to Wiglaf, Alby. For Wiglaf is always right.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Umm... no, apparently, R. Jeffrey Smith is an intelligent man. The simplest explanation isn't that he's an idiot. How many idiots have degrees from Duke and Columbia and have won a Pulitzer Prize?
                      All 3 of those exact things? Probably just one.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

well said KH
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The sad thing is that's probably the response Kuci and KH will have. Anyone who studied a discipline not grounded in mathematical rigor is inferior!
                          I don't believe that the statement is 1-1, but there is a correlation in that direction.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            I don't believe that the statement is 1-1, but there is a correlation in that direction.
                            Tell that to all the doctors and lawyers.

Comment

Doctors and lawyers are significantly less intelligent, as groups, than are most people with doctorates in any mathematical discipline.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why couldn't this hurt BP? I mean the contracts could call for an selling price above the current market rate. Or would that be too unusual. Of course the damages the DOD would have to pay for a breach would cancel out any gains.
                                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Working...
                                X