No announcement yet.

Is Phil Angelides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that models of underlying asset dynamics are more phenomenological in nature than necessarily fundamental. However, the point is that given an underlying asset model it's possible to monetize all of the risk dimensions independently using a dynamic mix of derivatives and cash products.

Ask somebody who's sitting around gamma slicing whether it was the derivative or the cash which drove his pnl. He'll laugh his ass off at you.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm reminded of chartists who come up with amazing formulae to explain past performance, but no underlying explanation, making the formulae worthless.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        I'm reminded of chartists who come up with amazing formulae to explain past performance, but no underlying explanation, making the formulae worthless.
        Shh... if everyone believes in the charts and makes market decisions based upon them, it's self-fulfilling.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Not if the chartists make different predictions (and they will cover all ranges of possible outcomes). They can't all be right.

Comment

What the hell is a chartist? Are you talking about "technical" analysis (i.e. numerology)?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The people who believe that a chart of past performance can tell you about future performance, and ignore other information (or give little heed).

Comment

A professor at my alma mater, John Allen Paulos (I never had him as my professor by the way) wrote an interesting book "A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market". I read it years ago so I don't really remember it well or his arguments, but it was a layman-accessible argument for markets being too chaotic for much scientific analysis or accurate financial modelling.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If that's the gist of his book then it's nonsense.

Obviously the prediction of future performance of an asset is difficult to impossible. That's not what real mathematical finance is about.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

DPs galore.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's what she said!

There, thread saved!!
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                      X