Is Phil Angelides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Phil Angelides...

incredibly disingenuous or incredibly stupid?

Shouldn't a person overseeing the FCIC understand the fundamental idea behind dynamic hedging, and how useless it renders the concept of pnl attribution to individual contracts?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I will defer to your judgment.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree with the people who are smarter and more knowledgeable than me.

Cue Kidicious insisting that price/wage controls are the way to go.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

He went to Harvard and you went to McGill, it is pretty obvious you are the full ****** here, and that women no longer hit on you. I'm not sure if what you have can even be diagnosed anymore...

Comment

I suppose I shouldn't blame him; even relatively junior people with real jobs make more than the pittance they pay to politicians.
          Last edited by KrazyHorse; July 2, 2010, 22:06.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

On May 22, 2006 in Santa Monica, Angelides announced his support for Vinod Khosla's Clean Alternative Energy Initiative (prop. 87) which, if enacted, would assess oil company profits by $4,000,000,000 over the next ten years and use the proceeds to invest into research for alternative energy such as ethanol. The measure makes it illegal for oil producers to pass the cost onto consumers.[26]

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm going to make it illegal for gravity to cause masses to attract each other.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

To be fair, Obamanomics is pretty much full of these things
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I am am disappointed that more people aren't interested in the foundations of modern finance.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Because, like physics it's just a bunch of made up rules to explain observable phenomenon.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's a good thing.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                        Because, like physics it's just a bunch of made up rules to explain observable phenomenon.
                        Many physicists don't think that.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yes, but they're nuts.

Physics (and mathematical finance) are better than the alternatives because they provide a set of relatively simple assumptions/rules with strong predictive and explanatory power....
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            I am am disappointed that more people aren't interested in the foundations of modern finance.
                            Finance is the most popular major for an MBA and is one of the most popular undergraduate degrees. There's definitely an audience who is interested.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I sometimes feel that financial models are analagous to species under Darwinian pressures.

A theory works, therefore it is considered probably correct, as compared to another theory that doesn't work as well. Different theories thrive or fail in different environments and keep adapting to remain relevant. In the end, a theory that worked so well up to that point can come to an evolutionary dead end, slowly or catastrophically. Also, the same basic theory can contain attributes developed independently in different guises several times, and often ends up a dead end trait.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X