Close call for old Gramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call for old Gramps

I am recovering now, but had a rough start for this week.

I have been nursing a Hernia for about 15 years and had been scheduled surgery July 20, but ended up with emergency surgery on Monday because my hernia choked out my intestines and went down hard, fortunately, surgeons got to it in time. I was having a scheduled Laprascopic surgery but ended up with a 6 inch incision in my belly which is still pretty painful, I was on Morphine and Vicodin to start with but am trying to handle via Tramadol now because dont want that dopey feeling, plus Vicodin causes constipation and dont need any additional stress on my belly.

Anyone else had an umbilical hernia and if so, how long before you felt normal again?

Thanks

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

umbilical?

so you had a hole in your stomach and intestines pushed thru and "strangled"?

I'd bet it heals up sorta fast (you are an old timer), stomach lining aint much more sensitive than the chest and I was fine without painkillers after they cut me open maybe 3 inches. Just gotta watch stressing or tensing that area. Did you try pushing your innards back in before going under the knife? I know someone who has had a stomach hernia for decades so it is of interest of course.

Comment

I had 2 inguinal hernias, one each side, the most recent repaired November of 08. It was huge and it got to the point where i couldn't even walk and i needed to take 3 months off work to get it fixed. I do not remember if i ever posted about that here before.The pain of recovering from the surgery was so excruciating that i frequently screamed out loud in the middle of the night when i moved wrong.

When that pain was finally removed from my body and 2009 rolled around i felt like a new human being.
      Last edited by ZEE; July 2, 2010, 04:20. Reason: got dates wrong
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

@Berz...yeah..I plan on being back to work in another 10 days..light duty..until stonger....

@ AAHZ..thats why Im back up now..pain keeps me awake..hopefully can soon fall back to sleep

What clued me in I had problems last Sunday was vomitting up and couldnt hold food down for over 2 days..slept only 2-3 hours over 3 days in such pain..

But, still not as bad as spine pain from nerves being pinched by jagged disc from accident...

This Hernia was maybe sticking out 3 inches but was very large under stomach lining, my belly right now has dark bruises about the size of a basketball, my sweetie took pics so we can monitor just in case, but should be just where blood settled from bursting vessels due to surgery..

GT

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          Did you try pushing your innards back in before going under the knife? I know someone who has had a stomach hernia for decades so it is of interest of course.
          I did just that for 15 years until it became too painful, just barely brushing against was so sensitive

Then had t do emergency due to strangling on intestines, could have been deadly..but they didnt burst which is a pure blessing

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
            my sweetie took pics so we can monitor just in case, but should be just where blood settled from bursting vessels due to surgery..
            Pics or it never happened!

Seriously though, get well soon and at least you're fixed now!
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
              Pics or it never happened!

Seriously though, get well soon and at least you're fixed now!
              I have pictures and will post later today..pretty graphic...if you like

Comment

You are in my thoughts Gramps.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Poor old Gramps, doesn't sound like the optimal week. Here's for a speedy recovery.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Thanks folks, it is life and opportunity, as for me and my house, we shall glory in our Lord!

Ill make it, just have to go through it to say I dun it

Gramps

Comment

Yeah baby! Get ready for some more drugged GT posts.

j/k GT.

Take care.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        Yeah baby! Get ready for some more drugged GT posts.

j/k GT.

Take care.
                        lol..actually, I got off the Morphine and Vicodin day after leaving hospital, Im in pain but dealing using Trammadol and Aleve...and yes..avoiding entertaining the masses

Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated

GT

Comment

Hang in there, Gramps. wishing you a full and swift recovery.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

have a speedy recovery, Gramps
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Ye gods, man. Why the hell didn't you get it fixed quicker?
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X