Freedom Strikes Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom Strikes Back

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., writing for the majority, said that the right to self-defense protected by the Second Amendment is fundamental to the American conception of ordered liberty. Like other provisions of the Bill of Rights that set out such fundamental protections, he said, the Second Amendment must be applied to limit not only federal power but also that of state and local governments.

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

We got the second amendment back
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Great, now people can't pass local laws that are tailored to local circumstances.

Comment

Uhh, yeah. That's the reason it's in the constitution.

They can't do that with freedom of speech either. Is that a problem?

Comment

There's gun violence. What's the speech equivalent and how many people has it killed?

Comment

People will argue (not many here) that violent movies, books, tv shows, video games result in violent actions and do in fact result in killing people. They'd argue that censoring that speech would save lives. People would also argue that other forms of speech would lead to unhealthy, immoral, destructive and dangerous actions by those observing it and should be censored.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
              People will argue (not many here) that violent movies, books, tv shows, video games result in violent actions and do in fact result in killing people. They'd argue that censoring that speech would save lives. People would also argue that other forms of speech would lead to unhealthy, immoral, destructive and dangerous actions by those observing it and should be censored.
              There is a reason why it is stated that the pen is mightier than the sword. Promulgation of ideas of intolerance has caused more deaths than any other. One can easily point to the dogmatic teaching and calls to infatada/crusade/holy war/eugenic nazi crusades/conversion at the point of la revolucion.

The idea of free speach is to allow the free flow of ideas without the dangerous slip/slide to the more crazy insane bent as the market place of ideas allows an agreed to vetting of what is bat ****e insane verses merely thought provoking and/or controversial. You will note in the examples above each of them relied on a significant portion of managing the message and control of the medium.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                There's gun violence. What's the speech equivalent and how many people has it killed?
                There is, to my knowledge, very little evidence to suggest that gun control has any effect whatsoever on violent crime--positive or negative. But the policy is a separate point. It's there in the constitution. There is an amendment process you know. If that isn't likely to pass, then tough (or so I would say).

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/us...us.html?src=me

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., writing for the majority, said that the right to self-defense protected by the Second Amendment is fundamental to the American conception of ordered liberty. Like other provisions of the Bill of Rights that set out such fundamental protections, he said, the Second Amendment must be applied to limit not only federal power but also that of state and local governments.

Is it just me or have certain US state's with local public support been recently trying to get a hold back on bits of power away from the federal goverment?
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Heller was decided several years ago, and how the Supreme Court would decide on this has been clear for a while. I think you're confusing state's rights with anti-incumbency and protests against the healthcare bill (which have some state's rights arguments going for them).

Comment

What's the speech equivalent and how many people has it killed?

Uh...

ETC. ETC. ETC.
                      Last edited by Darius871; June 29, 2010, 01:47.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

ordered liberty?

Comment

Are you kidding?
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                            ordered liberty?
                            It's just what judges like to say when they take a restriction on Uncle Sam's power and extend it to the states' power... don't fight it

Unbelievable!

Comment

There's an amendment that addresses state's rights also. The 10th. All this does is defer to the wishes of the state.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X